Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue May 12, 2020 2:35 pm

alan.barker wrote:
stevebroad wrote:
alan.barker wrote:Would a little clean up with a Thread File do the trick
Alan

That is an option, but I have ordered a die which should solve the problem. I usually buy taps and dies together but didin't this time for some reason :-(

Or a Thread Chasser on a Lathe (back to being an Apprentice)
Alan

Similar to running a die down the thread. If that doesn't work I may have to make my own. Adjusting the hinges on the Elan isn't the easiest of jobs at the best of times without hassles like this.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue May 12, 2020 9:05 pm

How about drilling a hole the length of the thread next to each flat of the square hole and even cut out a U section into the thread. It would give the remaining thead room to expand circumerentially and save some more weight. You don't need much strength with such a light door.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Tue May 12, 2020 9:12 pm

Quart Meg Miles wrote:How about drilling a hole the length of the thread next to each flat of the square hole and even cut out a U section into the thread. It would give the remaining thead room to expand circumerentially and save some more weight. You don't need much strength with such a light door.

Interesting idea :-) If the die doesn't work it is an idea worth looking at. Or, now that you have got me thinking, how about simply cutting a slot vertically through to the middle so...no, that will probably jam. Let's hope that the die works :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed May 13, 2020 5:32 am

With a Thread Chasser you can make the Effective Dia of the Thread to suit the female Thread it needs to screw into. Bespoke made.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed May 13, 2020 6:10 am

How about making a new set in carbon - wont be much wear... :wink:
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed May 13, 2020 8:30 am

gav wrote:How about making a new set in carbon - wont be much wear... :wink:

Now, why didn't I think of that? :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed May 13, 2020 8:32 am

alan.barker wrote:With a Thread Chasser you can make the Effective Dia of the Thread to suit the female Thread it needs to screw into. Bespoke made.
Alan

That is a good idea if the die doesn't work and I have an old imperial chaser.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed May 13, 2020 5:20 pm

stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat May 16, 2020 7:31 am

stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat May 16, 2020 8:08 am

Steve

How much nylon did you keep and how does the nylon fit into the aluminium?

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat May 16, 2020 8:26 am

gav wrote:Steve

How much nylon did you keep and how does the nylon fit into the aluminium?

Thanks
Gavin

Hi Gavin

12.5mm hole in aluminium and the nylon was trimmed to an interference fit, but I also smeared it with Methacrylate Adhesive which was probably not required but I have it to hand. I trimmed the end as the square hole was buggered. This left approx 15mm but on the next two the nylon will be flush with the top of the aluminium.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: vstibbard » Sat May 16, 2020 9:47 am

Steve,

I always smile when I see what you've created, keep it up! I've had same issue with the black versions and did same as you, tap on hinge, die on them etc no luck, I suspect that its a slight change in temp and expanding. I did managed to get them fitted by using silicon spray, but still caused some damage to the square keyway.

Can't remember the name of the material, but I've now obtained a plastic material with high moly (??) content and extremely hard, the moly helps lubricate the surface. I don't have your skills but have a friend who has a lathe and skills thankfully.

Cheers

Vaughan
vstibbard
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat May 16, 2020 12:03 pm

Decided to see how much weight I have removed from the latching/locking mechanism. Difference in weight is just over 1kg (1.219 to 0.184kg) so a total of 2kg removed from car. With regard to the hinge adjusters, I have now made all three required but will probably make 4 just to satisfy my OCD :-). Adjusters are 1gm heavier but the locks are 15gms lighter so an overall saving of 56gms :-)
20200516_120808.jpg and

20200516_111752.jpg and

20200516_114759.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Sat May 16, 2020 2:10 pm

"Greetings fellow Elan sufferers"

You certainly have that right, Steve!
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat May 16, 2020 9:43 pm

vstibbard wrote:Steve,

I always smile when I see what you've created, keep it up! I've had same issue with the black versions and did same as you, tap on hinge, die on them etc no luck, I suspect that its a slight change in temp and expanding. I did managed to get them fitted by using silicon spray, but still caused some damage to the square keyway.

Can't remember the name of the material, but I've now obtained a plastic material with high moly (??) content and extremely hard, the moly helps lubricate the surface. I don't have your skills but have a friend who has a lathe and skills thankfully.

Cheers

Vaughan

Hi Vaughan

I am glad that you like my posts, makes the hassle worth it :-)

The lathe has paid for itself many times over and makes life much easier. Simple things like washers, studs, threads are simple to make and done in minutes.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: