Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Fantasic workmanship Steve! How can it be road legal without headlamps? When is your estimated date of completion? :lol:
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:44 pm

seniorchristo wrote:Fantasic workmanship Steve! How can it be road legal without headlamps? When is your estimated date of completion? :lol:

Hi

Thanks. We have a system of annual vehicle testing, called an MOT (initials of the original department that run the scheme). If headlamps/running lights aren't fitted the pass certificate has an advisory section where it will be stated that no lights were fitted so not tested. This means that the vehicle is legal to use on the highway, but only in daylight hours, obviously :-) This certificate is unofficially known as a Daylight MOT.

Project cars are never completed :-) However, I am working on getting it running this year.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gusvlachos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:06 am

Marvelous work, ...A!+A!+A ! :,
and this evaluation is not only from a fun, but from a man who spend 50 years as a pro, loving, repairing, developing !!, modifying, & racing British cars. Congratulation again ! :D :D
Gus Vlachos
gusvlachos
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:40 am

gusvlachos wrote:Marvelous work, ...A!+A!+A ! :,
and this evaluation is not only from a fun, but from a man who spend 50 years as a pro, loving, repairing, developing !!, modifying, & racing British cars. Congratulation again ! :D :D

Hi Gus

Gosh, I am flattered that you like my work, especially coming from someone so experienced in this discipline. However I consider my skills more functional than show quality. It certainly doesn't compare favourably with the quality of many of the restorations on this site but I am having fun :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gusvlachos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:42 am

stevebroad wrote:

Hi Gus

Gosh, I am flattered that you like my work, especially coming from someone so experienced in this discipline. However I consider my skills more functional than show quality. It certainly doesn't compare favourably with the quality of many of the restorations on this site but I am having fun :-)

Hi Steve,
First of all, everyone can see that you love every moment you spend for this project.
From mechanical & functional point of view, your work is excellent. As far as the body work, it is pretty good & revolutionary and the extra plus top quality finishing it isn't your main target for the time, as the mechanical functionality is, I think.
Further more, before you do anything you are planning things, you consider factors, you give new solutions, try new materials, and these are obvious, So you deserve everything I wrote. :wink:
Gus Vlachos
gusvlachos
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:21 pm

gusvlachos wrote:
stevebroad wrote:

Hi Gus

Hi Steve,
First of all, everyone can see that you love every moment you spend for this project.
From mechanical & functional point of view, your work is excellent. As far as the body work, it is pretty good & revolutionary and the extra plus top quality finishing it isn't your main target for the time, as the mechanical functionality is, I think.
Further more, before you do anything you are planning things, you consider factors, you give new solutions, try new materials, and these are obvious, So you deserve everything I wrote. :wink:

Not a lot I can say to that, apart from I think that you many need to book and appointment, when allowed outside again, with at optician :-)

But, thanks for the compliments, I will try to continue to live up to them :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:49 pm

I Guess it must get worse before it gets better, and this is only the pattern. Next is the mould and then, finally, the actual part. However, the pattern will take the majority of the time as I have to make a few modifications to accommodate the new door glass and rear window configurations

20200412_190157.jpg and

20200412_192043.jpg and

20200412_141850.jpg and

20200412_141826.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Apr 13, 2020 6:41 pm

Getting the roof mould pattern how I want it is taking a little longer than anticipated. I had to add a lot more pudding to the rear screen lips so they lined up and widened the lower strip. Also added more filler to the door window recesses but they are about ready to go now. The front of the roof is almost ready.

20200413_180712.jpg and

20200413_184422.jpg and

20200413_182655.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:09 pm

Getting there, although the primer filler highlighted a raft of imperfections so a little ways to go yet. The inner edge of the window opening is wider than needed so not bothered about the finish.

20200415_123741.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:42 am

Started on door window frame whilst paint dried on roof. made mould out of a strip of aluminium and stuck this to an old double glassed unit. Marked positions of nuts to be embedded into carbon. Nuts have been turned down to give a slightly larger base for the carbon to grab hold of. 10 layers of 410gm/m2 carbon will give me a 7mm thick frame.

20200415_181517.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 8:59 am

stevebroad wrote:Started on door window frame whilst paint dried on roof. made mould out of a strip of aluminium and stuck this to an old double glassed unit. Marked positions of nuts to be embedded into carbon. Nuts have been turned down to give a slightly larger base for the carbon to grab hold of. 10 layers of 410gm/m2 carbon will give me a 7mm thick frame.

20200415_181517.jpg

Are you using the ali as a template so that the surround is made out of carbon entirely or are you intending to use an ali surround which you attach in using the bonded nuts. If the latter, have you thought of using thinner carbon but acrylic 2 pack adhesive to bond the nuts in?
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:43 am

661 wrote:
stevebroad wrote:Started on door window frame whilst paint dried on roof. made mould out of a strip of aluminium and stuck this to an old double glassed unit. Marked positions of nuts to be embedded into carbon. Nuts have been turned down to give a slightly larger base for the carbon to grab hold of. 10 layers of 410gm/m2 carbon will give me a 7mm thick frame.

20200415_181517.jpg

Are you using the ali as a template so that the surround is made out of carbon entirely or are you intending to use an ali surround which you attach in using the bonded nuts. If the latter, have you thought of using thinner carbon but acrylic 2 pack adhesive to bond the nuts in?

Hi Graeme

Just the carbon with the nuts bonded in. Aluminium would make it too heavy :-)
Last edited by stevebroad on Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:56 am

I've found bonded stainless components quite useful
IMG_0936.jpg and
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:15 am

[quote="661"]I've found bonded stainless components quite useful

Good ol' Big Heads :-)

20161214_161254.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:05 am

stevebroad wrote:
661 wrote:I've found bonded stainless components quite useful

Good ol' Big Heads :-)

20161214_161254.jpg

Indeed, but I've found the generics much cheaper and I cut off the nut if I don't need a M5 nut and TiG on a stainless fastener that I do.
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: