Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:36 am

The 525mm ally rad from a VW Golf GTi/Scirocco fits a treat. Just picked one up off ebay for GBP29 :D

Additionally have a look in the Demon Tweeks catalogue in the Westfield/Caterham section there is an ally rad for GBP190.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: prloz » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:22 pm

Doesn't the VW rad have the hose connections in the wrong position ?
Regards,
Peter.
prloz
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:17 pm

Well sort of. Both connectors are on the same side. I am going to route the bottom hose diagonally across. You can get all the pipe bits from Demon Tweeks etc.

However it is a good size and easily available for an excellent price :lol: Colin would like it as it must be 1kg - 2kg lighter than the original.

I will take some pictures as I do the install and post them up somewhere.

Here is a picture of an install sent to me from lotuselan.net mailing list.

steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type26owner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:49 pm

Here's a heads up tip for you guys installing aluminum radiators. Make sure you also add a copper earthing strap which connects directly to the engine. The stainless steel straps ones have a tad too much resistance. Don't enhance the bad coolant chemistry by creating electrical potentials.
type26owner
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun May 08, 2005 10:52 pm

Hi Guys

Just a note to say that I am still here!

Not much progress on car in recent months, been spending time selling bits on eBay and research, along with normal life and family responsibilities :-)

Decided to add adjustable anti-roll bar to rear and replace front one so that it misses Cossie sump (needed modifying at least as the damper studs are no more).

Still musing on dash gauges. Been looking at the Spa dash as fitted to the Atom. Only goes to 160mph though :-) Maybe they will do a one-off dial face........

Hi-Spec are about to introduce an alloy repalcement for the standard Cossie rear calipers that I was going to use. These will match the Hi-Spec 4 pot fronts. These will also help with my handbrake problem as the cable is in the centre of the caliper rather than at the bottom/top (either way it fouled a wishbone).

Found someone to do the body. Ended up with Graham Hatherway, the guy who did my chassis. As he makes and sprays all of his racing car bodies he knows what he is doing. He is going to also do the body mods (front splitter, underbody smoothing etc) prior to spraying.

That's all for now, but it WILL be finished!

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:56 pm

Hi, just to say that I haven't gone away. However, I have been building a garage with living accommodation above so have had no time to work on car :-(

Does anyone know how much a standard S3 bodyshell weighs (without doors and boot but with screen) ?

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Fri May 19, 2006 11:07 pm

Hi, if anyone is still listening :-)

It has been a while, but life sometimes gets in the way of having fun.

Project is still progressing, albeit slowly.

Engine has been built: 520bhp beastie. I have done a lot of research, but cannot find a sequential box that will fit in the chassis, so I will stick with my Tremec TVR box for now (may fit a CTS gearset)

Chassis is painted and I have started to bolt the rear suspension on. Cosworth 7.5" diff, driveshafts and hubs mated to fabricated carrier and top wishbones. Hi-Spec alloy calipers, Gaz gas dampers and anti-roll bar.

I had some standard top front wishbones modifed to take rod ends so that they are adjustable, but I am thinking of using Spyder ones instead as they look better.

The real fun will start when I try to lower the body over this lot and the longer, higher, wider engine. Quite a bit of cutting will be in oder, me thinks! I just hope that the rear of the head misses the windscreen, it will be a close call!

More updates as and when anything significant occurs.

Stve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Not much going on today so I was browsing through some old topics and saw this one and wondered if Steve is still on the project or has moved on.
Photos would be great if there are any.
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:01 pm

C'mone, Gary,

You must have something better to do!?

Three year old thread?

Now, what about those horrid flares or even worse, the new (?) thread on wires? Now that IS ugly!

Roy
'65S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: garyeanderson » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:28 pm

Hi Roy
Actually , Beau and I were waiting around to go over to my sisters and I was killing time. I saw this thread and wondered what had happened. There were a lot of folks that used to contribute to this forum and the yahoo group before that seemed to have vanished. I don't think they are ground bound and I wonder what it was that made them move on.

There was ice on the porch this morning and 38 degrees Fahrenheit with some sun at 2:30 pm, beau and I took the Elan (no top or heater) over to my sisters about 10 minutes away. I 'll spare everyone the photos of beau and his Easter bonnet.

Gary
garyeanderson
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:32 pm

elj221c wrote:C'mone, Gary,
You must have something better to do!?

Three year old thread

Roy
'65S2

I only saw this today ! This was some project !

I started at the beginning and was really looking forward to see how it worked out : what happened ? :)

Sean
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Tonyw » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:44 pm

I see it has been a while since Steve last posted ( after reading the entire thread I was looking for an April fools joke) but going back through this thread I cannot help but think that this project is a load of farm yard confetti, I doubt very much if you will ever see photo's because I doubt that any of the work as described was ever done I would be very happy to be proven wrong.

Tony W
Second childhood? no just an extension of my first.
Tonyw
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 pm

Tonyw wrote: going back through this thread I cannot help but think that this project is a load of farm yard confetti, I doubt very much if you will ever see photo's because I doubt that any of the work as described was ever done I would be very happy to be proven wrong.
Tony W

Tony: Maybe you are being too kind. Farm yard confetti = B******t :mrgreen:

Seems I may have to agree with your sentiments. :(
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: type36lotus » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:15 am

Aw, gee, and I was really hoping there were going to be some pictures, but it is looking like not. And now I notice I am limited in my posts to ONLY 60,000 characters! Gosh how will I be so brief?
Mike Geiger
66 S3 Coupe', no more :-(
type36lotus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: r.agnew » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:34 am

SteveBroad (not SteveWW) last posted here in January 2009 (on another thread) which is not that long ago, so he must be still around. Unless of course he's in prison, or doing a tour of duty on the space station :D . Seriously Steve, if you're out there, give us an update. We're all dying to find out what happened.

Rob
'71 Sprint
r.agnew
First Gear
First Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: