Cosworth YB Turbo Into Elan

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Fri Nov 26, 2004 9:10 am

<!--QuoteBegin-steveww+Nov 19 2004, 09:39 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (steveww @ Nov 19 2004, 09:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->What Elan video is that ?[/quote]
The video I was referring to is titled "The Classic Lotus Elan" produced by Classic Car Videos Ltd.
Club Lotus can supply it for 17.99 Pounds
Regards
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Dec 22, 2004 12:46 pm

Progress Report

Chassis back from Hatherway's. Now sporting double wishbones (at the right angles), gas filled adjustable coilovers, Cossie 7.5" diff, driveshafts (shortened), hub, discs and calipers. All that remains of the original are the bottom wishbones, and they are being replaced with a set from Tony Thompson that have 3mm toe in built in.

Chassis has also been strengthened/stiffened, using all of the suggestions found on this site.

The T5 TVR Tuscan gearbox fits!!!! Just. I need to fabricate a mount but that shouldn't be a problem.

The Cossie block mounts to the existing chassis points using a pair of Anglia mounts (as opposed to one Anglia and one Elan). Stiffer mounts will be used on the final build. I have had to, however, remove that funny bar that runs under the sump as the Cossie one has the bowl at the rear. I will try to put one back as near as possible to its origianl postion, but does anyone know how important this bar is, bearing in mind all of the strengthening that has been done.

As the front of the engine JUST clears the front crossmember, I am going to have to convert to flywheel ignition timing as the slightest movement will rip off the existing pully sensor!

Body is off original chassis (which is on eBay) waiting to be cut to pieces in order to fit on to new chassis. With the block in position it is now obvious that the bonnet will need to be modified in order to clear the camcover and pulleys. Lowering engine would result in mods to the front crossmember and bring the gearbox very close to the bottom of the chassis box section. It would also result in the sump being more vunerable. I looked at the possibility of a dry sump system, but at ?800 odd from Burton, this is not an option at present (unless anyone has one lying around looking for a good home!).

6 pot KAD alloy calipers, gas filled coilovers (same as rear but with different spring rates), alloy hubs, vented discs and adjustable top wishbones are planned for the front along with a quick rack if I can find one.

RecoProps are to make the prop for me (Cossie one end, TVR the other).

Off to Racing Car Show at the NEC in January to look for wheels (using Ford hubs gives me a lot of choice), seats and gauges.

That's about it for now, further update after Xmas

Have a good one everyone

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:11 pm

Hi there
nice to hear of the progress your making on this project. Hope you don't mind me asking why you don't seem to want to do mods on the front cross member. Spyder cut a half moon section out of their tubular version to provide clearance for the crank vibration damper. I did it to mine also. If your engine is going to be so close to that cross member have you thought about how you will you change the fan belt when necessary. I reworked the Zetec oil pan for my Elan so that the sump is up front. You will find that if your sump fouls the small cross member you will then most probably have a similar problem with the roll bar which you can't leave off. I also had to lengthen the drop links on mine to get past the oil pan.
Have a good Christmas.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Dec 22, 2004 4:29 pm

Quaiff (sp?) or Jack Knight should be able to supply a quick rack. Also worth having a word with Classicar Automotive as they recondition these units so will have a good understanding of what goes in to them.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:30 am

The chassis cross member under the sump is critical to prevent distorion of the 2 front arms of the chassis under cornering loads. Mine is removable and it is impossible to refit due to chassis distortion if I jack the car up with it removed at one corner.

If you move it a little back or forward for clearance reasons not a great issue but be careful you end up with enough room for the roll bar that runs next to it to move forward and back as the suspension works up and down.
Rohan
In God I trust.... All others please bring data
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:32 am

Hi,
I've just remembered the name of a good local source for wheels for your project.
"Image wheels" are based between Wolverhampton & Birmingham. They always have a stand at the Autosport International show NCC.
They have a big range of split rim wheels. Cast centres with polished, spun, two piece rims. These will allow you to play tunes on rim width, diameter & offset. I think the Minilite style centres that they make look great. I had a set of 6.5" x 15" on my Europa.
Regards.
John
Beware of the Illuminati

GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:52 pm

Hi guys

Just in case you thought I had given up on this project......

Not a lot has happened since last post. Life etc getting in the way.

Wheels will be coming from Superlite (17 x 7 & 17 x 9). Tyres will be 215/35 or 40 front and 245/35 rear. Gauges from Nordskog (DP9255 if interested).

Taken delivery of front alloy hubs from Pace Products. Ordered alloy 4 pot calipers and 260mm discs from Hi-Spec. Will also be ordering their alloy replacement Cossie rear calipers in the next day or so.

Prop soon off to Recoprop to be adapted to fit to TVR gearbox.

Started looking for quality sprayers in the Chelmsford area. Found two in Maldon. both Jaguar rebuilders.

Any thoughts on ally radiators that would fit?

Hopefully I will have more substantial news in the next couple of weeks :-)

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:32 pm

TTR do an alloy rad for the elan. I also have seen ads for an other company that will make anything up.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:52 pm

Hey, we talking LOTUS ELAN here?

Protypes are organised by the FIA!

Stick-in-the mud!

Roy
'65S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:25 pm

Steveww - Yes he does, but at ?325 x VAT!!!! I'm looking for something at a realistic price :-)

elj221c - Yes a 1967 S3 Elan. Don't understand the rest of your posting, however, please expand on your thoughts.

Steve
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:36 am

Yes I know what you mean. I also had a problem with the TTR price tag so I purchased a larger rad from a chap that does a similar system for a more reasonable price. The rad is not alloy but is a modern unit with much larger capacity than the standard unit. I forget his name but he regularly advertises in the Club Lotus mag. Tel: 01322 668050
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:45 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for the number.

However, I want alloy as I am on a weight reduction quest! Fortunately, eBay is a good source of rads, I am just waiting for the right one at the right price. It doesn't have to look like the original, so I am not restricted by that. No rush, either (well, not yet).
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: steveww » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Strange you should mention this.... My big rad suffered a bit of a mishap :o

So I am looking to source a new big rad. I have details on fitting a VW Golf ally rad. I am also checking sizes of Ford Mondeo etc. Please keep me in touch with what you find out.
steveww
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:05 pm

Hi Steve

Search eBay with "aluminium radiator" - 21 new rads about 2 minutes ago :-). Mondeo, VW, Pug, etc. Quite a choice, I need to do some measuring :-)
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:54 am

I saw an Elan racer last year with a superb ally rad- it was from a Renault 5 and the guy paid peanuts to the dealer who was glad to get it off his shelf; I wish I had photographed it.
He was driving a bright blue car in the Paul Matty sprint series, so maybe I'll se it this year at 3 Sisters, if so I'll take the picture this time!

Pete
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: