Which Diff for Spyder conversion

PostPost by: berni29 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:24 pm

Hi there

I picked up a Spder Zetec chassis built up with the full Spyder sierra RSC setup etc. I need to scource a diff and wanted to pick up one tomorrow. Spyder don't open till Monday otherwise I would call them. Does anyone know which one exactly I need? I'm not going for the LSD, just the normal open one. Unless the LSD is a must have haha. Photo below of the chassis with the mounting brackets showing......

Many thanks!

Berni
Attachments
IMG_7921.PNG and
IMG_7920.PNG and
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Dec 04, 2022 1:51 pm

I’m running a Ford (Granada I think) 7 1/2 inch diff with LSD in mine. I would always have an LSD but I think the 7 inch is probably fine if you aren’t running a Lotus diff
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Sun Dec 04, 2022 6:23 pm

Hi There

Thank you. Do you ever have the car skip sideways when pulling away sharply in wet conditions, or from standstill on hills when turning at steep angles? I know the plus 2's are very light at the back...... I have spun one 180 deg while doing less than 20 mph! But that was a standard car.......

I have been told that an LSD car can skip sideways if it looses traction....

All the best

Berni
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:34 pm

Hi Berni
As I understand it, some LSDs are more aggressive than others. I used to run a Quaife ATB diff in my Lotus diff and it was quite harsh.
I am now running a standard Ford LSD unit which seems much smoother and I’ve had no problems with it.
Cheers
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 4:40 pm

Hi

Just to close this one off (discussions about LSD vs Open aside) the correct diff would be any Sierra/Granada 7 or 7.5" unit. An LSD with a ratio of 3.62 is what Spyder advise, but you could use a 3.9, either open or LSD.

All the best

Berni
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: