Electric Headlamp Lift Conversion Wiring Advice for S1-S3?

PostPost by: neilcritter » Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:01 am

Has anyone installed the Spyder Cars electric headlamp conversion preferably in an S3... or an S1 or S2 if not? I'm pretty sure it uses the the Mazda MX5 motor from their headlamps. If not from the Spyder kit... has anybody installed one of Mazda motors on the S1, S2 or S3?

If so, how did you wire it? How did the switches work in the dashboard?

It looks the instructions suggest an option to use the feed from the sidelamp switch (which I think started with the S4/1968 and on).

I am planning on ordering a new wiring harness from Autosparks, so I suppose I could ask for an S4 wiring harness but I fear it would add complications as the dash board is different.... or ask them to run a 12 volt power (similar to the sidelamp
power) but still need to work out the up and down switch from the dash to the motor.

Attached are their instructions and some photos they provided.

Any experience or ideas???
Attachments
05F4BBCC-9E7D-42EE-9BD5-BC43CE3C9F5F.jpeg and
Example from Spyder... probably not an S3 but not sure
F7280B43-4361-4404-8F42-3105F5FC4369.jpeg and
Instructions from Spyder
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:47 am

The instructions do state the feed from the sidelight etc is for the +2. If you adopt this on an S3, the pods will rise when you switch on sidelights.

If you only want the pods to rise for headlamp use, then their second instruction - a feed from the headlight switch...

No need to order a special from a harness fabricator, just add the wire yourself...
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: