Timing case on a Kent block

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:05 am

My plans have suddenly changed so that I must now build my engine with a Kent block.

I am interested in comments from anyone that has done this as well, particularly, from old posts
, Sean Murray, twincam man and garyanderson in how your installations faired through the years in regard to oil leaks.

I have two options, fit a spacer/shim on top of my existing short block timing case (although I have heard horror stories on this one, but was told by someone that it is better to have a spacer milled specially to suit the actual size as the off the shelf ones can be hit or miss) or, I can try and sell the short timing case and fit the Burton timing case that is readily available. (again stories abound of poor quality and oil leaks on this as well)

I am leaning towards the Burton option, and need to be persuaded one way or the other!

Thanks
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Thu Apr 28, 2022 8:29 am

A friend of mine did similar. He machined a spacer specifically the right height for his cover to head gap and used RTV sealants rather than the cork seal. Seems ok at the moment, well last time I asked anyway.

I have a full height 711 block for mine, when I get round to it. I will probably use the tall Burton kit myself as I dont have easy access to a mill.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Thu Apr 28, 2022 11:50 pm

Well it's nice that someone remembers my 711 conversion !

I eventually bored this block to 84mm, and a cylinder got porous so it was scrapped and replaced with a QED 681F block bored to 85mm.

I never had any significant oil leakage problems with the 711. I had fitted a Burton tall block timing case/water pump, and I had this machined level with the block, there was quite a lot of extra height to be removed.

I found the best way to get a good sump seal was to have the block upside down on the floor and thoroughly degrease the joint surfaces with thinners. Carefully trim the groove seals, then use Dirku adhesive sealing compound with new Cometec gaskets. I barely tighten the bolts when fitting, then minimum torque them next day.

Socket head bolts make any sump work a lot easier.

Just today finished fitting a new clutch, during which checking for some oil leakage I found the old rubber breather tube had gotten extremely brittle and was cracked. Degreased and new breather fitted with Dirku. Wouldn't like to have to do this job with the engine in place :shock:

Back out for my first hillclimb since lockdown next week-end ! :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:35 am

There's a tall block conversion article in the Wiki, I think.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:16 am

Thanks Simon - how long has your friend's spacer solution been in place?

Thanks Foxie - how long has your Burton case been in use now? Any oil leak?

Thanks Bill, I am happy with the 711 conversion and what to expect (having said that, the mating of crank, rods and pistons is being done by a competent engine builder) I am only interested in pros and cons of the two timing case options open to me.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: SimonH » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:28 am

HCA wrote:Thanks Simon - how long has your friend's spacer solution been in place

Its coming up 4 if not 5 years now.
SimonH
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:39 am

I had my 711 from 2003 to 2016, with the Burton tall block timing cover/cartridge water pump.

The timing cover was machined flush with the block deck.

It never leaked.

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: types26/36 » Fri Apr 29, 2022 11:50 am

I used to have a Seven with a 711 TC in it, used it for years and it never leaked at the spacer......did blow a head gasket though :roll:
Attachments
SPACER.JPG and
7.JPG and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:17 pm

Thanks all - it seems that if both options are correctly installed, there is not a leak problem.

I might go for the Burton option if I can sell my small block case.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: