Hand Break Mod Suggestions?

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:52 am

There is currently on Ebay an S3 with a handbrake lever relocated to between the driver seat and the door sill

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275554174398 ... R7qb7K-YYQ

Anyone done similar or know this car?

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:49 am

With both the cage and the handbrake in the way, I can't imagine how the driver is supposed to get in and out.

Car does look very smart though.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: neilcritter » Tue Nov 29, 2022 4:22 pm

Thank you both for your follow ups about the example on EBay. It was kind of you to recall my question. I ended up sourcing an original handbrake lever, brake pads and the adjustable rods. The only mild modification I made was welding a spot on the chassis for a retractable spring to be placed to keep the pads open. More photos to follow during my next update on "I don't know Jack" project.

Neil
Attachments
7454FDB0-0360-4CB2-A59C-5BF2B348766B.jpeg and
Welded bracket and added spring to modify handbrake to stay more open
Neil Crittenden
Oklahoma City
1967 S3

"I don't know Jack"
https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=50881
neilcritter
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue Nov 29, 2022 5:39 pm

Neil,

I like that idea, wish I had thought of it before painting chassis and fitting body.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Neil,

I like that idea, wish I had thought of it before painting chassis and fitting body.

Richard Hawkins

if you don't have stock Girling with the pull back springs, you can always make do this mod without welding to the painted chassis using a spring attached to a hose clamp or something similar...
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:45 pm

I'm rather late in replying to the original question, but I have only just started studying this for my project...here are a few ideas:

- I'm planning diagonal dual circuit brakes with a Group N type front rear bias adjuster (mounted above the diff, not within the driver's reach for FIA / road regulation reasons).
- My assessment of the original handbrake is that it is not best placed and the "tree" is poorly designed. I'm reminded that its was suggested that the main use of the original h/b could possibly serve to detect black ice (if left on).
- I am designing my own lever for the tunnel which will be mounted in the square aperture (10 x 12cm) on the passenger side (LHD car). This lever will use the pawl and ratchet, and internal lever from a MGB (which act as the base to which the lever is mounted).
- The (made to measure) cable mechanism will run through the "floor" of the tunnel and will be actuated by a pull rod / lever and pulley allowing equal forces to each side. I came across this design after looking at the drawings of contemporary cars and working out which one seemed best.
- My conclusion is that using 50% of the MGB and 50% of the 250GT / 275 GTB parts bins seemed a reasonable compromise and the diagrams are available on the excellent Eurospares website. The Ferrari parts are quite easy to make...
- I'm not planning to enter any concours d'élégance at least I have gone for period designs (allowed by the FIA).

I'm still at the design stage, but hope to give an update in due course.
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Previous

Total Online: