Shadow-line trim on +2?

PostPost by: Andrewelan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:48 am

Has anyone seen a Plus 2 with chrome areas detailed in black? Bumpers, window frames etc? Any pictures?

Wondering about this on mine. Never going to be concours (not in my possession anyway!) but thought this may be a fix for poor chrome and deteriorated plasti-chrome on screen

My M5 is a "shadow-line" variant with all black window surrounds and that was in mind when considering the Elan

Thanks
1963 Nuffield 460
1987 E28 M5 #180
2006 E90 320si
2006 E46 318Ci
2009 Elise R
2016 F11 520d
2018 T6 150TDi DSG
Andrewelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:43 pm

Very interesting, as I am in process of getting chrome changed to black chrome on my new project car. Going Lotus military grey and black chrome. Wish I had white interior, but that will need to wait.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andrewelan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 4:28 pm

Look forward to seeing the result
1963 Nuffield 460
1987 E28 M5 #180
2006 E90 320si
2006 E46 318Ci
2009 Elise R
2016 F11 520d
2018 T6 150TDi DSG
Andrewelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Fri Apr 16, 2021 6:38 pm

Andrewelan wrote:Has anyone seen a Plus 2 with chrome areas detailed in black? Bumpers, window frames etc? Any pictures?

I am in the process! I have started with things that I know I can replace with chrome if it does not work out. So far, so good. But struggling to find gloss black screen filler - red and white yes, but gloss black is eluding me..

h20hamelan wrote:Very interesting, as I am in process of getting chrome changed to black chrome on my new project car. Going Lotus military grey and black chrome. Wish I had white interior, but that will need to wait.

Interesting and a good colour combo - reminds me of my last RS3! Grey seats would look equally good... My understanding is that black chrome is very unforgiving and needs a really good base to set it off properly. My bumpers and light surrounds would not make the cut if this is the case.

Good luck with it and indeed, please post pictures!

IMG_3111.jpg and

IMG_3110.jpg and
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:34 pm

HCA wrote:.

h20hamelan wrote:Very interesting, as I am in process of getting chrome changed to black chrome on my new project car. Going Lotus military grey and black chrome. Wish I had white interior, but that will need to wait.

Interesting and a good colour combo - reminds me of my last RS3! Grey seats would look equally good... My understanding is that black chrome is very unforgiving and needs a really good base to set it off properly. My bumpers and light surrounds would not make the cut if this is the case.

Good luck with it and indeed, please post pictures!
]

It will take time, working on a 30’ trimaran this year. The only chrome will be the door handles, bumpers will be incorporated and smooth. So mainly the door/window frames, and the air-flow vents should be easy enough otherwise.
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:21 pm

I ran my plus 2 with chrome in body colour for a couple of years. I tried black and then gold before I went body colour. The other colours reminded me of rubber bumper mg, and the gold looked better. Body colour made me think of mx5...albeit far more elegant than any mx5.
I now have chrome bumpers but my front light chrome is still body colour and my side windows are pitted chrome ;)
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Total Online: