Digital dashboard

PostPost by: Bigbaldybloke » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:46 am

Has anyone completely replaced the dashboard with a modern digital one as part of a full interior update on an early plus 2?
I notice now that on many of the American custom car programs the trend seems to be for fully computerised instruments that give an analogue type display for things like revs and speed, with touch screen controls for many of the minor controls. These are all installed in a new modern design dashboard with the whole interior nicely trimmed in quality materials.

Just curious, I’ve almost finished fitting an new standard walnut veneer dash and instruments in mine and just thought, why?
I’ve fitted cv driveshafts, an alternator, electric radiator fan, new alloy fuel tank, new adjustable shocks etc and it’s due to be retrimmed in leather, it’s had a bare shell respray. As I grapple with fitting the dash and trying to install the horrid plastic dash top and tunnel cover and make them fit nicely and look good, I’ve started to think maybe I could do something better now?
Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine!
Bigbaldybloke
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: h20hamelan » Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:01 am

I sure have contemplated for other cars/trucks. Yes, they work well from what I can tell. Mainly when you go with aftermarket engine management and fuel injection.
I know they work without, why bother. Suppose if your gauges have failed
Born, and brought home from the hospital (no seat belt (wtf)) in a baby!
Find out where the limits are, and start from there
Love your Mother
Earth
h20hamelan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:45 pm

Hmmmm, another thing to think about for the future.

I've told myself that when my Plus 2's engine gets worn-out again (freshly rebuilt now so it should be quite a while yet) I'm going to convert the car to electric power as the battery-technology should be significantly better by then than it is now. Reading this topic my first thought was that I could put some sort of battery-life or performance display in the hole for the tacho, which won't be needed. Oh but then a GPS speedo will be needed, and then what do I do with the holes for the other engine-related gauges, or the hole for the choke knob? Better to just start over with another dashboard designed for what I would need, and something like what BBB is asking about might make for a clean and simple solution.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: