Spyder Aluminium Fuel Tank in +2 Zetec

PostPost by: nickruss » Wed Mar 24, 2021 10:13 pm

Hi, I've acquired a Spyder Aluminium Fuel Tank to replace the original in my +2 Zetec. Does anyone have any information on how the various hoses connect to it?

Also any general installation tips?

Many thanks

Nick

IMG_1898.jpeg and
nickruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Vixensteveplus2 » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:38 am

I am just fitting the same tank to my Plus 2. Its meant for fuel injected Zetec conversion.
In the bottom part of the tank (which acts as a fuel reservoir/swirl pot) both connections are meant for female Dash 8 fittings (motorsport type) to braided hoses - one is supply out to filter/pump, the other is the return from the fuel rail. Doesn't matter which way round you connect them.
The connections at the top are one larger male Dash 8 fitting which should be a push on hose going to the two breather pipes that run over the roof and then down by the seat belt reels, then out through the sills.
I think use a T piece to connect the 3 pipes together. The smaller one is a male Dash 6, again a push on breather hose which goes to the connection in the fuel filler neck (if an airtight fuel cap is used). I suppose blanked off if a non airtight cap/neck is used. The spigot in the filler neck has to be removable to get the neck/ cap in or out.

Hope this is of help
Vixensteveplus2
New-tral

PostPost by: dj_powell » Thu Mar 25, 2021 7:52 am

Hi Nick,

I have one fitted to my Plus 2, which Spyder fitted last year while it was in for some other work. I’ll take some photos for you in the next day or so if it’ll help.
I’ve since also added the MX-5 filler neck flap, along with a breather value to atmosphere.

Darren
50/1597 = 1969 +2S 150/5 Spyder Zetec
dj_powell
New-tral

PostPost by: nickruss » Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:39 pm

dj_powell wrote:Hi Nick,

I have one fitted to my Plus 2, which Spyder fitted last year while it was in for some other work. I’ll take some photos for you in the next day or so if it’ll help.
I’ve since also added the MX-5 filler neck flap, along with a breather value to atmosphere.

Darren

Thanks Darren, that would be great. Any idea where to buy the MX-5 flap from?
nickruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:22 pm

Vixensteveplus2 wrote:I am just fitting the same tank to my Plus 2. Its meant for fuel injected Zetec conversion.
In the bottom part of the tank (which acts as a fuel reservoir/swirl pot)
<Snip>

Is this tank part of the Zetec conversion ? It does not seem to be listed on the Spyder website

I just checked the Spyder site, and the +2 alloy tank shown there seems to be the same shape as the original tank. The tank in your pic is a different shape, and does the reservoir section project below the tank ?

Is it the same capacity ?

I also see Spyder can supply tanks with MSA foam filling, I may go for that

:)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nickruss » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:15 am

That's right Foxie, my car's a Zetec Spyder conversion. The tank is definitely made for this car as it came out of another one!
nickruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: nickruss » Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:16 am

Vixensteveplus2 wrote:I am just fitting the same tank to my Plus 2. Its meant for fuel injected Zetec conversion.
In the bottom part of the tank (which acts as a fuel reservoir/swirl pot) both connections are meant for female Dash 8 fittings (motorsport type) to braided hoses - one is supply out to filter/pump, the other is the return from the fuel rail. Doesn't matter which way round you connect them.

Is it hard to swap the tanks? Can you do it all via the boot or do you have to remove the rear seats, parcel shelf etc?
nickruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Sat Mar 27, 2021 1:24 pm

The standard tank will only just go in via the boot, even with the rear seats and parcel shelf removed.

I don't think this larger tank will get fit in via the boot. You'll need to remove the rear seats etc imo and I'd advise doing that anyway any way. It's not that bad removing the rear seats/parcel shelf and may save you time overall.
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: dj_powell » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi Nick,

Here are a few photos which should help.

Tank GA.jpg and
Overall view

The tank has a built in swirl pot, hence the smaller lower section, with the take off point being the lowest fitting.

Flow In-Out.jpg and

Fuel lines running to/from engine bay.

Vents.jpg and

Vent pipes on upper right hand corner of tank.
Clear pipe runs over the top of the rear screen, to a fitting on the filler neck - allows air out of tank when filling up.
Black pipe is the vent to atmosphere, going under parcel shelf, up the right hand side of the rear screen, then down into the cavity behind the B pillar, then out via a hole in the inner sill.

Filler neck vent.jpg and

Detachable fitting on the filler neck, accepts vent from tank. Clear pipe goes over top of rear screen.

Breather vent from tank.jpg and

Breather pipe from tank, to atmosphere.

Breather valve.jpg and

Added a in-line breather valve between the tank and the atmosphere - limits escape of fuel vapours when parked in garage. Still allows air out eg fuel expansion if left in the sun, while allowing air in eg to replace fuel used.
Note it has to be fitted in the correct orientation.

MX5 valve fitted.jpg and

MX-5 fuel filler valve fitted inside the elbow, held in place by jubilee clips.

The fittings for the MX-5 valve, as well as the breather valve all came from 'Car Builder Solutions'. I have the part numbers if you need them.
I bought the MX5 filler valve via Ebay - managed to get a complete filler neck with the flap fitted, which made it easy to cut down the neck to the right length of section.

Let me know if you need any more info.

Darren
dj_powell
New-tral

PostPost by: nickruss » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:51 am

Thanks Darren, that's hugely helpful!

If you could share the part number for the MX-5 fuel filler valve that would be great.

cheers,

Nick
nickruss
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dj_powell » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:21 am

Hi Nick,

The filler neck valve itself is: Ge4t-42-270b Mazda Mx5 MkII Non-return Valve - Fuel, but these are quite hard to find brand new.
New MX5 valve.jpg
New MX5 valve.jpg (79.65 KiB) Viewed 1060 times

A search on ebay should get you a complete second hand filler neck, including the valve already fitted.
I searched for 'MX5 Mk2 Fuel Filler Pipe/Neck' and paid about £15
Just found this - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MAZDA-MX5-EU ... XQIrFSKLtn
MX5 valve - cut this end.jpg and

There is a good thread on the forums about this mod.
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=31759&start=

Hope this helps,
Darren
dj_powell
New-tral

Total Online: