Zetec fuel line

PostPost by: mikealdren » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:17 pm

Has anyone here installed their own fuel line in the Spyder chassis?

The front two guide tubes in my chassis are well out of line and Andy says this is intentional to put a bend in the tube and stop it rattling!?!?! He says that you need to bend the bundy tubing to get it through the guides but there's no way I can bend it enough in such a short distance.

Any help gratefully accepted, if not, I'll probably have to go for a flexible plastic tube (or possibly 10mm copper central heating pipe)

thanks
Mike
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Feb 08, 2021 8:22 pm

Hi Mike

I think that Spyder’s designed the pipe work with copper pipe work in mind and I can see the logic to prevent them rattling.

I have the tubes in the chassis to accept them but wanted to be able to remove the fuel lines with the shell if the body is lifted so I ended up running them in Goodridge hardline under the arm rest. I padded the gaps with soundproofing and put a layer of soundproofing on top - not a lot but enough to stop chafing. All connectors in the boot and engine bay so no joints in the passenger compartment.

Works fine for me but not the cheapest solution - especially as I ran high pressure flow and return so two runs required.

I don’t see why you cant run hardline through the chassis - it is very malleable but I would want to protect the sections that run through those chassis tubes.

Hope this helps

Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:06 am

Thanks Gavin,
Copper may well work but the steel pipe they supplied is certainly not very malleable! When the weather gets a bit (a lot?) warmer I'll try it.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:07 pm

Mike
While you are considering possibilities it would be worth looking at Goodridge (or Krontec) hard line.
The pipes are coated aluminium and easy to bend and the fittings are straightforward to fit but it does commit you to JIC type fittings.
I use them through the cockpit of the competition car.
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 pm

Thanks, I've spent a lot on parts including the fittings from Spyder and and I will probably use them but I'm not completely closed to alternatives.
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mr.vman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:28 pm

I have a Spyder +2 chassis. Ran 3/8 inch steel (hard line) for fuel Line. Had to make bends, no major issues. If you are going to have fuel injection. Consider installing a return fuel line in chassis. Unless nonreturn fuel system is used. Here in the "states" Bundyflex brand metal/steel tubing works well. The new type plastic coated metal lines, for me, are hard to bend.
Steve V. Arizona USA
mr.vman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mikealdren » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:45 am

This is the issue, there isn't much room to bend a stiff pipe inside the chassis and then of course, the pipe has to be pushed through to the rear of the car.
Attachments
DSC05791v2.jpg and
mikealdren
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:07 am

Mike
Are you trying to fit them with the body on?
Gavin
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: