HUCO located in boot 133000

PostPost by: baileyman » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:06 pm

This is described as self-priming. Does anyone else have different experience? I find it will not lift the 15" to it's location next to the tank. If primed, it works. If not, it just chugs. I hope to never run dry. John
baileyman
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vxah » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:41 pm

Mine is next to the tank on the outlet side and it pulls up the fuel no problem. Are you sure you don’t have an air leak in the pickup hose etc? Chugs away until carbs are full and then stops.
vxah
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:11 pm

The Huco 133010 can be used in the engine bay if you prefer that. Pressure is 1.4psi and is a puller pump, unlike a 133000 or Facet which is a pusher. Huco should be fitted on it's side even if it does look as if it appears to favour vertical fitting. It will work vertically but is spec'd for horizontal. Beware the O rings when adjusting the inlet and outlet positions.
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 am

I didn't know they should be mounted horizontal.
Where did you get that info from
Thanks
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: derek uk » Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:43 am

If you do a Google image search for Huco fuel pump a picture of the Huco I fitted to my Saab 96 is among them. It goes to this thread. http://saab-v4.co.uk/speedball/topic.asp?topic_id=7241
I responded to a post by a German who had fitted one to his Porsche 356 and he said that it should be horizontal. He posted a pic of his. In the Google image pictures you'll find then fitted both ways. As I said it looks logical to mount then vertically and it looks neater. The rather similar SU pumps, single and double are fitted horizontally in all installations as far as I can see. There are metal bodied versions of this pump which look virtually the same and came first I think. Used by Ford on some small cars with carbs. I have one of those on the shelf. They have a die cast alloy working end with a blue painted housing. Made by Hardi.
If you try one you can try both ways before fixing permanently
derek uk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:28 am

I have had a Huco pump on my 1978 TVR 3000S for 4 years and a Huco pump on my 1976 TVR 3000M for 2 years.
Both fitted vertical NO problem.
I just looked at the fitting Instructions Huco which came with Huco pump and NO mention of fitting vertical.
So on my 2 TVRs i will leave them vertical.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:03 pm

Just fitted a Huco 13-3000 "Pusher" electric fuel pump in the Boot (Trunk) of my elan:

IMG_2639.jpg and

You can see the Inertia Switch & Relay mounted on my Sub-Box so power is only supplied when the ignition is on & will cut out in a collision.

A nice feature of the Huco pumps is that the Fuel inlet & outlet can be rotated to any suitable position. Here I fitted 1/8 NPT x 5/16" barb fittings on the fuel filter for a compact installation.

I have a Holley 12-804 Fuel Pressure Regular in the engine compartment to drop the fuel pressure down to 2.5 psi at the Carburetors.

p.s. Primed no problem in this attitude / position.
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Hi Phil,
well done they are a nice job.
I see you have fitted a glass cleanable Filter like me.
You will be well pleased.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cliveyboy » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:12 am

I have a Hurco 2.5psi pump installed in my boot. Fitted vertically and works fine
As it is not fed from a pipe on the bottom of the tank which would be self priming. I fit it as low down as possible to the tank so once the fuel starts flowing out the top of the tank it is naturally trying to siphon out and therefore always priming the pump.
Whilst pumps can suck they much prefer to push. I learnt that as an apprentice and its served me well. I never install a pump to pull more than the absolute minimum. Longer the suction pipe means more chance of air accumulating and fuel pumps don't suck air well so more risk of priming issues.
Finally I cant think of any specific reason why this type of pump should be fitted horizontally. I would be intrigued to know the logic behind it.
Clive
1972 Elan Sprint FHC
cliveyboy
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:48 pm

Excuse me for diverting this thread. I am at the stage of selecting an electric pump and thought a Facet would fit into the space. I did not want to use a regulator as well as a pump. The Facet web site has a confusing number of options, what pressure do I need for Webber carburettors?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:53 pm

Look at Huco which is designed for Weber.
They give the pressure.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 1owner69Elan » Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:40 pm

RichardHawkins wrote:Excuse me for diverting this thread. I am at the stage of selecting an electric pump and thought a Facet would fit into the space. I did not want to use a regulator as well as a pump. The Facet web site has a confusing number of options, what pressure do I need for Webber carburettors?

Richard Hawkins

Do you have an uprated engine requiring a higher flow rate than the stock engine. A high output engine can influence the choice of pump.
'69 Elan S4 SE
Street 181 BHP
Original owner
1owner69Elan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:25 am

Huco flow rate is enough for my TVR 3000M and 3000S. Running V6 Essex Engines.
Alan
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:33 pm

1 owner 69,

No my engine is basically stock, the head has been skimmed so that it is flat, but thats all. I want to fit a pump in the trunk so that the carburettors will be full before I start the engine. Rather than also use a pressure regulator I was hoping to find a Facet pump that matched the duty, but am unsure of the correct pressure.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:17 pm

Hi Richard
I believe that Weber carburettors need approximately 2.5 PSI at the carb. inlet.
I do not know about others.
I use the mechanical all metal engine driven pump from Sue Miller with a cheapo Facet cube lookalike pump in the spare wheel well for priming the carbs before starting. I do also have a regulator set at 2PSI up by the carbs. I have not measured it`s inlet pressure so I do not know if it is necessary.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Next

Total Online: