Tandem master cylinder +2

PostPost by: pptom » Wed Jun 10, 2020 6:03 pm

From what I remember from my research they are a standard Girling part but were used on very few vehicles, including a Morgan +4. No one makes reproductions. Someone was making them a few years back but they stopped. I'm afraid I've deleted all of my internet bookmarks from when I was searching once I'd found one.
The other issue is that they are 50 years old and will probably need seals at best and sleeving / piston at worst which may or not be available.
Nothing bar the caterham unit met all of the criteria for me, bore size, length, outlet direction and mounting holes
Its frustrating because other period masters from triumph / mg are so cheap brand new. Even wilwood units are relatively inexpensive, but all of them fail in one or more criteria.

Just had a look on eBay and found this item number which would be worth a punt, think it's the same as mine. Says he's selling it as upgrading to the new AP one which is a larger bore

Last edited by pptom on Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gus » Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:17 pm

Where's Russ Newton, he's on the list somewhere

way back unreliable memory, is the S2 Europa a smaller diameter, like ,7 or something and works well for servo less installs

I have been running my +2 Servo less for many years, high effort but it works
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:22 am

pptom wrote:I have one. Its a caterham AP racing master cylinder.
Not sure if they still sell them, I have a feeling the new ones are the wrong bore size. Mine was second hand.
Fits with no bodywork modifications, no servo on my car
I did lots of research a while back, can't remember why I didn't go spitfire, but this one was bolt in although I had to connect the brake hoses before it was secured to the pedal box. I think most of my info came from this forum, although, of course some of it will only apply to LHD cars.

IMG_20190502_133757.jpg

What size piston is in that one? Same as standard or a bit smaller?
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pptom » Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:31 am

As I recall, the standard caterham part is the same as standard for an elan, the newer one they sell is slightly larger.
pptom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JJ66 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:47 am

Hello All, In case its of any use, please find below Girling part numbers for some of the parts discussed above:

Original Dual Circuit master cylinder for US spec cars = 64068928, 0.7" diameter, seal kit SP2610

Triumph Spitfire Dual Circuit master cylinder for US spec cars = 64068680, 0.7" diameter, seal kit SP2406

Triumph GT6 Dual Circuit master cylinder for US spec cars = 64068678, 0.75" diameter, seal kit SP2407

I've searched through cross references in the Girling manuals and can't find another vehicle that was fitted with the 64068928 part number. Regards, Jonathan
JJ66
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: