Hydraulic release bearing

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:41 am

What is the current opinion on using a hydraulic release bearing and removing the OEM setup.
Does anyone supply a good option?
James
holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chrispy » Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:15 am

ive never been much of a fan of them, any issues generally requires removal of the gearbox to fix - which in an Elan normally means engine out. What's wrong with the standard arrangement for your application?
Chris
Elan +2 #0245
Exige S2 Supercharged
Chrispy
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Tue Feb 25, 2020 2:55 pm

I use a Mcleod concentric slave on my modified Elan. I have a T5 transmission and a conventional slave cylinder simply doesn't fit. It has worked fine for years. GM uses concentric slaves OEM for many LS engine applications and I have one in a V8 Miata. Also works fine.

That said, I agree with Chrispy that I wouldn't use one on a stock Elan that has room for a replaceable slave. If the seals fail, it's engine out time.
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 9:08 pm

Here's some more info from an older thread
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=7155

Unfortunately, kstrutt1's pictures are not in his folder. Maybe, long shot, pm him.
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Foxie » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:34 am

I fitted Alan Voigts T9 5-speed in 2004, 16 years ago.

It has a concentric clutch release.

Never had to touch it since. :)
68 Elan +2, 70 Elan +2s
Foxie
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:18 am

The first concentric clutch release bearing I came across was in my first SAAB 99 in the early 70's. A nice design with the gear box and diff below the front wheel drive longitudinal engine and with the clutch in front of the engine with a gear train down to the gear box below in front of that. You could change the clutch and the concentric release bearing by just pulling out the clutch shaft without disturbing any other components :D

So they have been around for about 50 years and work reliably IMHO but only SAAB were smart enough to make them easily maintainable :lol:

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: nmauduit » Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:56 am

I've been using a Saab 900 concentric clutch on my street elan since 2014 (though I don't drive it often enough), this is a 5 speed Lotus gearbox and bellhousing, I like it and will do the same on my next big project (S2 GTS for racing)

https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=32719&hilit=concentric
S4SE 36/8198
nmauduit
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: cabc26b » Wed Feb 26, 2020 9:01 pm

I have used concentric for a number of years and have yet to have one fail , I can't same the same with external slaves they seem to give more trouble but as mentioned are easy to deal with.

I have used Tilton the longest, they are on the expensive side though. they work fine on a number of gear boxes - same unit can be made to work across most of the ford range ( 600 series i think )

A couple of years back I installed a titan unit onto a T9 - I liked how titan had a variety of spacers you could buy and saved time/money . Cost was less than Tilton. I don't drive that car much (one with the T9) so can't speak to longevity , durability but did not see a reason holding it in my hand that would cause it to fail quicker than a tilton.

George
cabc26b
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:31 pm

I am building a S2 GTS and opted for the Burton Power APC5 version made by Titan (NB standard 2.5 5 speed gearbox with fruity TC engine). The BP / Titan version is very nicely made but here are a few notes :

- it is a very tight fit (none of the spacers that BP also offer are needed) between the front of the gearbox and the clutch when using a Helix clutch mechanism (215mm 60-2842) there is very little room and indeed, it is necessary to remove the thrust pad.

- As the thrust pad cannot be fitted, I have queried this with BP and they tell me that the T9 is often fitted like this without the thrust pad (please let me know if this is a "no-no-no!!!")

- Although this is not original, many historic race competitors use a concentric version by BP (or perhaps the Saab version). However, the FIA are trying to clamp down on this by requesting a specific photo for the HTP as the part is technically non-original. [There is a lot of weird flip-flopping on what is apparently original ]

- I cannot comment on how it works...I have not got to that stage yet!

I hope this helps!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: