Really small headlight units

PostPost by: gav » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:32 pm

Hi all

I'm trying to source a small headlight unit with main/dipped beam for my competition car.

I have a pair of 5 3/4 units but am looking for something smaller.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists please?

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: TomR » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:57 pm

I put these Hella Nissan Maxima E55 HID projectors in the headlight assembly of my Integra to replace the low beam projectors. They have a solenoid operated shield to give both high and low beam with the same bulb and optics. Very cheap on ebay, say $30 ea.There will be a small (say 4" round by 1" thick) remote electronics package to mount also I'm sure other manufacturers have similar units but these are cheaper than most.
Attachments
hella-e55-bi-xenon-projector-nissan-maxima.jpg and
TomR
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bill308 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:10 pm

TomR has the right idea IMHO.

I've been leaning toward Hella part # 009997021 for my 26R street build. This Hella part is a generic, sealed HID, bi-xeon (high & low beam) lamp, that needs some accessories for a complete installation. Tire Rack quoted me $439.00 each and they would need to be ordered as a non-stock item.

The beauty of these small diameter lamp assemblies is they can be mounted high in the headlamp cavity, so the beam should not be clipped by the bodywork on an early 26R (pre-Chinese eye) configuration. This should also avoid any legal issues where the headlamps are not high enough. Daniel Stern Lighting recommended these assemblies as being top notch optically.

Bill
bill308
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 am

The "some accessories" may be a challenge in some jurisdictions if you need to legally road register a car with these headlights. In Australia at least they require head light washer units and level alignment with load changes in the car which may be challenging to do in a 26R style car. I believe the EU requirements are similar, dont know about US

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:35 am

I have some on a Caterham that I sourced from a French tractor parts depot, they are the swivelling ball joint stud fitting but you would not be using the outside cowl, they are dipping, LHD of course but by rotating them you can get a very good approximation of a RHD dipped beam cut off, they were dirt cheap as well!

When I first drove at night with them I could not see a thing, turns out they hang from the mountings on a tractor but on the Caterham they were upside down :D
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:28 am

US depends on where it's registered. Most states don't have any form of inspection required to register a car.
1970 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
2012 BMW R1200GS
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elandoc » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:05 am

rgh0 wrote:The "some accessories" may be a challenge in some jurisdictions if you need to legally road register a car with these headlights. In Australia at least they require head light washer units and level alignment with load changes in the car which may be challenging to do in a 26R style car. I believe the EU requirements are similar, dont know about US

cheers
Rohan

The DoT in QLD is very busy - I never like to bother them with minor things like modifications to my Elan 8)
67 S3 DHC - The world's most expensive Elan has now been sold!
85 Ferrari 308 GTSi QV
76 MGB
07 Aston Martin V8 Vantage
81 Ducati 900 MHR
65 Elan S2 lightweight project under construction
73 Triumph X-75 Hurricane
elandoc
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gav » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:13 am

Thanks all for your help so far.

I think I'm going to run with the Hella projectors. They are not HID and should be more straightforward to instal.

They are the combined dipped and main units sold by car builder solutions.

Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: