Lotus Elan

Hydraulic handbrake

PostPost by: Mazzini » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:40 pm

Chancer wrote:
Mazzini wrote:Perhaps a silly question, but are hydraulic brakes legal in the UK?

I think that you mean hydraulic [u]hand[u]brakes.

Yes you are quite right - thank you.
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Melodyk » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Hello again. I've been driving around all week in sunshine and rain, on country roads and in heavy traffic, and in particular up a lot of hills, and I have to say the new hydraulic handbrake has been perfect. Today I spent ages in rush hour city traffic crawling up hill and found the handbrake easy to use and very effective. It helps that is on the left like a modern car and you lift it up to put it on and down to take it off. It's much more like a normal handbrake. The only thing to remember is that you have to hold the foot brake on until you have pulled the handbrake lever up. But that's not hard to do. Once it's on it holds the car the same as if you were pressing hard on the foot pedal. Pulling away is easy. I was so pleased I came home actively looking for hill starts to do!
50/0060
Melodyk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: webrest7 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:14 am

Thank you for the post .
It is a handy addition to the rather clumsy standard handbrake set up.
webrest7
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:12 pm

Here's my hydraulic handbrake :-)

handbrake-fitted-2.jpg and

As the manual release mechanism is covered by the tunnel cover, I had to fit an electric actuator and button.

handbrake-mods-130117-2.jpg and
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Someone help me with my brain fade please.

Fly off handbrakes, the sort used for auto-crossing with the ratchet reversed, in the misty muddles of my memory I recall them being either illegal or an MOT failure, I had one on one of my 7's, probably modified by myself but I also recall having had a road car with one that caught everyone out, a Triumph Herald or Spitfire perhaps?

ring any bells for anyone?
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ericbushby » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm

My 1955 Triumph TR2 had one. I wondered what happened to them. I sold the car in 1962.
Eric in Burnley
1967 S3SE DHC
ericbushby
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:23 pm

The MGA has a fly off handbrake as standard - catches out modern mechanics (technicans)?!!
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Chancer » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:13 pm

Having Googled it must have been one of my early Triumphs, none of the early 7's would have had one as they used a Coventry climax fork lift handbrake handle tucked under the dash that you needed to release the 4 point harness to reach, it must have been one of my Westfields that I converted to fly off.

Doesn't seem that they are illegal or an MOT fail either sp I must have imagined that.
Chancer
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: