My Electronic Ignition & Injector TB Project

PostPost by: crypto » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:22 pm

Haven't done a lot in the meantime (to cold in the garage :roll: ) so just posting some pictures.

img_20171104_170443.jpg and
The filter-pump-regulator assembly.

img_20180217_174419.jpg and
The entire thing is going to be placed in the space at the lower right hand side of the boot.

I had to replace the existing fuel line too, everything is no 8mm diameter (from pump to injectors).
Tests will show if I have to replace the suction pipe in the tank to a bigger diameter too...
The really good drivers have the bugs on the side windows (cit. Walter R?hrl)
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: crypto » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:58 pm

My Injection project has now almost come to an end and I'm very pleased how it is running. Most of the tuning has been done (while the engine is warm). But during cranking, cold starting (minus degrees) and cold running there is still a room for improvement... :roll:

Attached is a parts list of most components I acquired, with source and price to give an indication what it costs me. You will notice that many parts where sourced form Ebay suppliers from Europe and far East. None of the parts have given me troubles except the TP-sensors. Those I have chosen are really rubbish (I have used 3 in the meantime) and will replace this rubbish one with a hall sensor type which should last forever :lol:

Parts-List.pdf
Injection conversion part list
(36.22 KiB) Downloaded 627 times
Last edited by crypto on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:36 pm

A genuine Bosch HP Pump for ?19.00 ??

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:46 pm

P.S.
With the returnless system be prepared for fuel vaporisation causing rough running ( got the T-shirt ).

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:27 am

John,

Firstly, I am in awe at the quality of your engineering. Excellent job.

Like others on this thread, I also have the T-shirt, and I would question your choice of returnless. You questioned earlier in the thread the choice of plastic pipe for returnless systems, my guess would be that this is to reduce heat transfer into the fuel during its journey to the injectors - and gives some idea of the problems you are likely to face with vapourisation.

The problem is most likely to manifest itself at tickover on a hot day in traffic, when the engine will just stop. The fuel flow rate will be at its lowest and provide little cooling, and under bonnet temperatures the highest.

I like your PWM pump, but for the same effort it might have been better just to run an additional pipe?
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crypto » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:25 am

John, this is not an original Bosch fuel pump :roll: , but physical and electrical equivalent.

Regarding fuel vaporisation, I can assure that it is not a problem. At least not in my setup, how I drive and the latitude where I live. The last summer was quite hot here and she run faultless even in temperatures over 35 degrees.

If I had good access to the chassis then I would have added a return line. As it is now, she gets the "coolest" fuel it can be, even the pump is running at so low speeds (and quiet) that it doesn't heat up the fuel. Because fuel pressure is constantly 3.5 bar in the rails, the ECU is set to correct manifold pressure difference.
Last edited by crypto on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:38 am

"this is not an original Bosch fuel pump :roll: , but physical and electrical equivalent." ,

Yes,I had one of those, there was no filter in the inlet and it lasted 6 months..., carry a spare..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: crypto » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:24 am

Yes good idea :) , there is only sieve filter at inlet. But I added a big filter at the input (see pic above). Lets see how long it lasts, maybe longer if its not on full power all the time ? P.
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:45 am

Well done..

john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:26 am

I have a genuine bosche pump, even then it has a filter before and after the pump, plus one prior to the injector rail. Maybe over kill but it works.
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: crypto » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:49 pm

As mentioned before, my ebay TPS-ensor needed replacement by a quality product. But instead investing money for a 60 ? resistor sensor, I decided to go for magnetic hall-sensor product. Unfortunately I was unable to source one that fits my throttle bodies and uses the connector I already have on the cable side.
My local electronic parts shop had the RFD-4000 from Novotechnik on stock. A magnet is also required that fits on the throttle body shaft. (total about 50 ?)

https://www.novotechnik.de/uploads/tx_e ... 708_01.pdf

This is how it looks like without and with sensor attached.
img_20190406_160519.jpg and
TPS magnetic sensor

img_20190406_160749.jpg and
TPS magnetic sensor
crypto
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: