The LED lighting thread

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Wed Mar 15, 2023 7:05 pm

Got it. Interesting. Good to reminded that there's no free energy. The more output the alternator is delivering, the more resistance to rotating it presents to the engine and therefore the electrical energy the alternator is producing is equaled - in the theoretical world - by the energy used in the engine to produce that electricity.

I always felt that it would be best to start with a belt tension slack enough to cause some squealing (which would indicate slippage). Then gradually tighten up until the squealing just disappeared. That would, in my mind, be the optimum tension.
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: TBG » Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:39 pm

I tried and tried to get a toothed belt system to work and they kept snapping after not that many miles. Seems there was an harmonic that they just did not like - hence the twin belt system. It works. D
TBG
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Sea Ranch » Thu Mar 16, 2023 2:47 am

Good to know.

I suppose there really is some engineering involved in car design after all :)
Sea Ranch
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Frogelan » Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:11 am

@TBG Am just catching up on this thread..is the dual crank pulley adapted by your good self or available everywhere.. this may be worth a thread!
1965 Lotus Elan S2 26/4022 (originally Dutchess Lotus East, PA and NJ Area, USA)
Frogelan
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jun 06, 2023 11:51 pm

I doubt that changing the belt tension has any significant effect on alternator power output, but changing pulley sizes would.

With LED bulb, you can possibly run the alternator with less RPM, which will save on wear & tear of the alternator.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: