4age +2

PostPost by: nomad » Mon May 30, 2016 12:07 pm

Not afraid of welding anything! :D My eyesight isn't quite what it used to be though. :(

Kurt.
nomad
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gus » Sat Jun 04, 2016 5:12 pm

So this fits in the stock early spyder chassis?
gus
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:54 am

With a notch in the front tube the engine fits in the chassis.

A with t50 5spd gearbox you need to move some xbrace and box tubes.
It would fit a standard chassis much much better
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:42 pm

Nice work!

There is a project Plus 2 locally that has a similar configuration. The owner mentioned he started the project in South Africa years ago. He sourced the custom space frame chassis from Spyder. I don't know the modification details, but if I got the story correct the engine and transmission were with Spyder when they built up the chassis to suit it. I had no idea of all the fitment issues that had to be dealt with to make the package work.

I should check in with the owner this summer and see how he is coming. I must say when I visited him a few years ago I figured the Toyota drivetrain would be perfect for a truly usable Plus 2 build, and would tie back nicely to current Lotus drivetrains.

As Rohan mentioned, there was a nice Toyota equipped Seven replica at our local Cars & Coffee last year. My Esprit V8 was drawing some interest and questions from the younger enthusiasts, but the Seven owner and I most enjoyed the young guys looking over the Seven and knowing all the Toyota engine and transmission details, likely donor cars, tuning opportunities, etc. Figured a Toyota Plus 2 would have a lot of appeal. :D

Best of luck with the project and thanks for posting.

Stu
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LaikaTheDog » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:30 pm

my 4age is completely standard, it is what is commonly referred to a a bluetop engine, so this is the lowest spec 16v twink in the family.
It has a big port head, hyperpak iginition and twin weber 40s, inlet and exhaust manifolds are made by me in mild steel.

on the dyno at novatech in slough last week, a "real" elan was in front of me and made 101 at the wheels...so i was pleased with my granny corolla engine making 96, but my torque curve was a surprise, the dyno guy was so surprised... my curve went through the labels... he was expecting it to be half what i was getting

now running very well... need to rack up the miles once i fix the speedo cable !
20170409_160330.jpg and
LaikaTheDog
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: