Dashboard...

PostPost by: pereirac » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:26 am

Has anybody considered using a wood finish film to recover their cracked dashboard rather than going down the stripping, re-veneering and varnishing option? it seems that some of the modern wood patterned films looks pretty good and hopefully you would not suffer with varnish running or cracking after a few years...

I assume it's what some mainstream car manufacturers use these days for their 'wood' trim interiors?

Just a thought :D

Carl
Carl

72 Elan Sprint
87 Excel SE
97 Alpina B10

http://www.lotuselan.co.uk
pereirac
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 2:03 pm

I actually surveyed the factory where a lot of this stuff is made for car interiors and it is very different from just vinyl film. The car interior grade stuff would be very expensive probably a lot more than a new natural wood one. Wood grain vinyl film is relatively cheap but you need to be good to apply it well - also if there is a crack in your dashboard this will show through the vinyl so it couldn't easily be used to cover a problem.
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: grassyknoll » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:33 pm

I did consider it
Along with replacing the veneer with a new sheet
In the end I stripped the varnish and stuck the cracks down with pva and clamped overnight
I then used coloured waxes to fill gaps (theses are furniture waxes. They look like crayons in shades of different wood)
Where I had lost veneer completely I removed a strip from the bottom of the dash where it is masked by the tunnel trim and used that to fill in the gaps !
I posted the rest of my refinish in the plus 2 discussion forum....
grassyknoll
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: