Magnetic Oil Filter.

PostPost by: vincereynard » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 pm

Anyone tried, or considered, one of these magnetic sleeves for the oil filter.

http://www.firstfour.co.uk/products/per ... /filtermag

Seems to be a good idea with no downside.

Vince
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:01 am

If the flow across the magnetic is high enough then it won't be able to attract any particles. A magnetic drain plug works, but I heard others say it could be trouble. Still Chevrolet put one on my truck, so what do I know.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Orsom Weels » Wed Jul 29, 2015 7:58 am

Anything that might catch & hang on to any unwanted crap circulating in your engine can surely only be a good thing? Magnetic drain plugs are not unusual & have been around for years, my 70's Norton & Triumph motorcycles had them from new. I like the fact that it can give advance warning of something going awry otherwise un-noticed. There will always be a few whiskers at oil change, but if there is a big increase it's time to have a look inside :D I don't see what harm it could do or how it could be trouble?
Regards, Tim
Orsom Weels
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:10 pm

Here's a chap who make his own.

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... Plug&mid=0

How hot does oil get?
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:00 pm

Probably the same temperature as your coolant...

Magnet bought

John :wink:
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:54 pm

john.p.clegg wrote:Probably the same temperature as your coolant...

Magnet bought

Logically you would think so. I was just wondering if, because of the constant shearing effect, being under high(ish) pressure and in areas such as cylinder bores etc, oil actually can get hotter than the coolant in places.

Why the need for complex oil coolers if it is only at 75 > 80 degrees?

Interesting to know how your magnet works out!
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Lordflashart » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:39 pm

I keep a really powerful magnet on the filter of my TR4 and there is never anything stuck to it come oil free change. I suppose this is a good sign, but it does make me wonder about the affectivness of doing it.

Paul
Lordflashart
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Galwaylotus » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:58 pm

I've been using a FilterMag on my car for years. They're made of rare earth magnets - quite strong.
Mechanical Engineer, happily retired!

'67 S3 SE FHC

See Facebook page: W J Barry Photography

Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Galwaylotus
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: curly type 26 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:09 pm

Just noticed Burton Power now selling magnetic drain plugs for various fords incl x/low & twinc page 35 of 2015 catalogue worth a look Curly 1964 26Rr :D
curly type 26
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: vincereynard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:42 pm

So they do.

I have to say they look a bit feeble compared with the one the chap make himself.
vincereynard
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:45 am

The metal canister effectively shorts out the poles of the external magnet. I have my doubts about how much of the magnetic field penetrates inside the filter can to capture metal particles. A magnet on the sump plug that sticks into the oil is going to be much more effective at capturing whatever is there thats magnetic

In diffs and gear boxes magnetic plugs always pick up lots of metal particles as there is no filtration in the system.and lots of steel to steel wearing surfaces. In engines magnetic plugs pick almost nothing as most metal particles are captured by the filter. Also many engine metals that end up in the oil are non magnetic - i.e. piston aluminium and bearing materials such as tin, aluminium and copper

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JJDraper » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:19 pm

Slight thread highjack re oil temp - I use an oil temp gauge and it usually shows around 90DegC with no hard foot down, but with high speed running and lots of hard acceleration, this rises alarmingly. On motorways, the temp quickly rises to 120-140DegC, and on a long Euro trip, the needle hit the stop and stayed there on the 'bahns & mountains. Water temp was rock solid at 95DegC. I was so alarmed I tested the gauge with tell-tales on the sump & filter and it tells no lies... For long Euro trips, I fit an oil cooler with thermostat. Dino oil degrades very quickly at these temps and may be why some engines don't last long. If you don't measure something, you're just guessing.

http://www.kewengineering.co.uk/Auto_oi ... dation.htm

Back to the thread, the product can't do much harm can it? I like the idea.

Jeremy
JJDraper
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: john.p.clegg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:42 pm

Vince

"Interesting to know how your magnet works out!"

....received the magnet and have decided not to use it as it is only slightly more powerful than the ?1 shop version which I already have in the drain plugs of the diff,gearbox and sump..

P.S. only last month refilled the gearbox oil and found a black "goo" on the drain plug,never seen magnetic mud before...
john.p.clegg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:38 am

P.S. only last month refilled the gearbox oil and found a black "goo" on the drain plug,never seen magnetic mud before...

john
This "goo" is just a mixture of very fine steel particles from wear in the gears and bearings and oil. Hence it is magnetic

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: