Spyder +2 zetec owners on elan.net?

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:17 pm

Nice picture Colin.

Can you share how you re-routed your exhaust? It's on my to do list after I have done a bit of paint work.

I'm using Ferodo DS2500 pads on the front brakes and I'm really pleased with how they have increased braking efficiency, much better feel and far better stopping power, if you stamp on the brakes they will lock up, you had no hope of doing that with the standard pads, totally useless and a bit dangerous I thought. I used green stuff pads which made things a bit better, but swapped to the Ferodo's earlier this year after a recommendation from another ?lan owner who was running a dual circuit master cylinder with a wider than standard bore, hence useless brakes for a non servo system.
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:41 pm

20140612_092325.jpg and

20140612_092334.jpg and

20140612_092405.jpg and
1971 +2S 180/5 Spyder Zetec
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:30 pm

I'd love to see a few picks of your jack kit. My cars missing its jack so need to figure out a solution....
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:53 pm

Sure thing:

I made a little adapter to fit into the jacking holes that would sit neatly on top of a standard jack. I then found that the rover 25 standard jack set contained exactly the type of jack I was looking for and it also had a wheel brace that fitted the wheel nuts all packaged up to fit inside the space save in my boot (trunk). It works a treat and looks good as well.

adapter.jpg and

jack.jpg and

fitted.jpg and

unit.jpg and

Colin
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Thanks, that is good "mod". I've been thinking of buying a off the shelf jack and making a similar piece. Shame I can't weld. A kit from a car is probably better option, won't be from a Rover 25 over here thou!
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 pm

Very nice picture..what ecu are you using and what system. I'm running my twink on jenvey tthrottle bodies with Emerald ECU. This will end up on a zetec eventually
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: spyzee » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:39 pm

Emerald ECU and Jenveys giving 181 bhp on 2.0 zetec with 285 cams. I have lots of maps should you need some to play around with.

Do you still need photos of diff and rear suspension as I have both the original chassis and the spyder chassis photos showing the diff and complete suspension layout?

Colin
spyzee
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:02 am

Colin.

Yes please
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jig » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:50 pm

Just to say hello, I'm a long term Lotus owner (Elises etc) and I'm now actively looking for a plus 2 project to convert to a Spyder Zetec. To help calm the purists, I'm ideally looking for a knackered car with no engine, rather than ripping apart a matching numbers car, which I probably wouldn't do.

Question I have: is there some form of manual or guide on the conversion - I'm specifically thinking about the finding the correct spec. of MT75 'box, which Zetec to go for along with pro's and con's of the various induction and management options, diff and suspension options etc.

Happy to piece the information together, but trying to get myself informed.
jig
New-tral

PostPost by: mds4544 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:50 pm

1 7 15.JPG and
Hello

My 74 plus 2 was bought without an engine but the Zetec 2.0 is in the new Spyder chassis and I have finished drilling and tapping the mounting holes today!

The body is being finished by a professional shop (I don't have the facilities or the skills) and I hope to get it back on the chassis in a week or so.

I am following the Spyder template in most respects (Sierra diff; MT75; Emerald ECU etc.) and have been delighted by the endless support and advice they have given me so far (I have bought some bits as well but just the same, they are incredibly supportive).

Most of the reasons for my choice of power plant and chassis are exactly as Alan says. I am intending to build a fun, reliable, great looking sports car that is reliable and copes with modern traffic on weekdays as well as weekends.

I bet the twin cam from my car ended up in a Cortina (the Lotus Cortina is worth far more than my plus 2).

Great to have a group on here......

Malcolm
Attachments
IMG_1608.JPG and
mds4544
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:03 am

Hi Malcolm looking good ,if you need a hand putting the body on give me a shout
regards
Paul
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:52 am

elan66 wrote:Hi Malcolm looking good ,if you need a hand putting the body on give me a shout
regards
Paul

Ditto on the above. It's a long time since I was part of a body lifting party. 4 strong blokes, loads of testosterone and plenty of beer afterwards 8)
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:18 am

My Spyder Zetec is off to Goodwood Revival on Sunday so I have stickered her up for the event.

She is so far from standard that I shunned the idea of using all the traditional Lotus Racing sponsors in favour of the brands I have in the car, or want to have (or in the case of Supercortemaggiore, I just think the 6 legged fire breathing dog is plain cool).

The Big traditional Castrol did sneak its way in at the end tho.

Good luck to all of you still in build phase, you won't be disappointed.
Attachments
IMG_20150910_170634.jpg and
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elan66 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:38 am

Lovely looking paint Gav is it carnival red
P
elan66
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gavk » Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:07 am

Thanks, its not a Lotus colour, its a Suzuki Metallic Red of sorts. I would never normally choose a red car personally but the previous owner had it painted and I chose the car on condition. The colour has really grown on me and when the sun catches the metallic it really looks great :D
gavk
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: