Lotus Elan

Electric Elan

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:20 am

Bit of a tangent but I wonder who will be first to put a hydrogen fuel cell in an Elan?
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: LotusElon » Sat Jun 20, 2020 4:34 pm

elanfan1 wrote:Bit of a tangent but I wonder who will be first to put a hydrogen fuel cell in an Elan?

Colin definitely a would frown as its highly inefficient both producing the hydrogen and in converting it back to electric or useful energy.

Hydrogen has its uses: storing otherwise waste Night time grid electric energy. And where weight and volume are not an issue eg Trains, Trucks and buses.

Environmentally produced methane gas or bio fuel may be a useful stepping stone. But 'burning stuff' will eventually need to be outlawed.

But hey, what do I know - I'm already an electric outlier :mrgreen:
'Lotus_Elon' to get another 50yrs of Elan Handling 'https://www.instagram.com/lotus_elon/'
LotusElon
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:40 am

Having spent quite some time researching this, apart from the problems with production, cost, distribution, storage and efficiency, what has hydrogen ever done for us? (with apologies to Monty Python).

Hydrogen does start to just about make sense for large energy intensive applications where the weight of the storage containers isn't an issue. Cryo storage of hydrogen avoids large, heavy high pressure vessels, but comes with its own laundry list of issues.

https://www.rechargenews.com/transition/world-s-first-liquid-hydrogen-fuel-cell-cruise-ship-planned-for-norway-s-fjords/2-1-749070

My own view is that hydrogen fuel cells can't compete with batteries for automotive applications.
Andy8421
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: