my elan zetec spyder build

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:54 pm

I thought I'd start a new thread about the build process, as I start to put this all together, (now I've stopped rubbing down!!)
I'll start with some pics of my latest acquisitions, the fuel tank and hardtop - anyone like to offer any advice about fitting these?
Feb 2013 017.JPG and
Feb 2013 011.JPG and
Feb 2013 013.JPG and
Feb 2013 012.JPG and
Feb 2013 018.JPG and

Next job is fettling hardtop and making it fit properly, with glass fitted etc, then take it apart again.
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Have a look at this topic http://www.lotuselan.net/forums/elan-f15/fuel-tanks-elans-t23918.html there are some pictures of my S4 and the fixing arrangement for the centrally mounted tank. This is very similar to the method of securing a +2 tank with thin strips of steel bolted through the floor.

I don't have any experience of fitting hard tops, but I assume that there is a lip on the front of the top that fits into the normal metalwork at the top of the screen? You might want to think about getting that all set up with the centre support spoke before going any further.
screentop.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Stratosboy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:02 pm

Thanks Alan,
I guess I'm going to have to make some straps up to fit my weird shaped tank, do you have any more pics of how your straps fit into the body. Are they just bolted into the tub, or somewhere on chassis too? It looks from the pic that they are attached to the cross member brace between the turrets?
Stratosboy
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:07 pm

Sorry for not replying sooner, the topic reply was lost amongst all the PM's for my glove box catches!

I don't really have a lot of photographs of this part of the build, but as stated the straps are very similar to the system used for the +2, see the diagram below from the +2 worshop manual.

+2 fuel tank fixing.jpg and
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: