Lotus Elan

RVI Tachometer Conversion

PostPost by: billwill » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:44 pm

Grizzly wrote:I'm just fitting a Spiyda Design kit and managed to mangle the two face screws (they where very tight) just wondering if anyone knows what size they are or where i could get two new ones?

They are probably tiny BA threads.

Personally I would take it into a local clock repairers and see if they have suitable screws.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Its all sorted now, i thought it would be more of an issue but i nipped into this model place just round the corner from me and they had some https://maccmodels.co.uk/ unfortunately i didn't see the size as he vanished into the back and reappeared a few moments later with them.

So just got to paint them Black now.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Grizzly » Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:05 pm

Well just finished fitting the Spiyda Design kit and it was very easy to do. Two things that where a bit of a Pita, removing the Bezel and removing the two face screws but i cheated slightly with the bezel as i was having no joy trying to get it off without marking it (Bought a new one and just bent the tabs back to get it off) if i was doing another one i'd buy a brand new screw driver to remove the face screws and clean the slot in the screw head well before trying to move them but as i found the screws are obtainable from Model engineering supply shops.

Another thing i found was when calibrating the Tach use a computer with a healthy head phone volume, i tried with an old laptop and it did work but the better volume the more accurate it seems to calibrate and as Spiyda say it makes life so much easier if you play the 100 and 200hz in a loop.

After adding a fresh Neg wire from the coil to the tach high voltage sensor it works great on the Accuspark ignition that's on at the moment.

I'm really happy with it, the Tach operates nice and smooth now with no judders. I would recommend the kit to anyone with tach issues.

Bit of an update, I had some issues with the Tacho jumping on start up which turned out to be the wrong watt bulb in the Ignition tell tail. I noticed the tell tail would be lit whilst the tacho was playing up (also the Alt wasn't producing any output) so i fitted the correct 5w bulb and all works fine.
Chris
Grizzly
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: