Speedo adaptor for use with MT75 boxes

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:47 am

Hi to fellow MT75 converts!

I'm about to swap to one of these and am sticking with a cable drive speedo. However, on the MT75 box (or the MCT75 one I'm using) the pick up point for the speedo cable/right angle drive is quite recessed. Normally the cable for one of these is circlipped into place (I assume) but if using a right angle drive it needs an adaptor to be circlipped to the box and the right angle drive screwed to the adaptor.

However- does the std right angle drive work- the adaptor moves the right angle drive further away from the box so does the std right angle drive squared and extend sufficiently to engage with the box or is a special required with a longer reach?

regards

John
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:55 pm

Hi John

I have a Spyder adapter and a standard angle drive on my MT75.

It is a pig to fit and doesn't like to stay where it is put so I created a hose wedge against the drive to stop it slipping out.

Works fine but took a lot of time (and skin) to fit.

Good luck
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:42 pm

That's interesting Gavin. When I looked my Spyder supplied MT75 over, I couldn't figure out how the angle drive was held in, if at all. I haven't had an issue in use (yet). As the engine and box will probably be coming out shortly, can you describe a bit how I can improve the retention of the angle drive? Did you just wedge your hose piece between the frame rail and drive? Mine is in a Spyder frame, and it is all pretty tight in there.

thx
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi

Doesn't the adaptor circlip into place?- there is a machined internal groove on the box I'm using for this purpose.

Regards

john
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gav » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:05 am

It is held in with a circlip as you say.

Thing is - it didn't want to stay there. It was the right size and my problem was that to refit with the box in
position it is extremely tight.

I am using a spaceframe chassis and I wedged the hose against the frame section and cable tied it in position.

Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: stugilmour » Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:18 pm

Thanks guys. I will take a closer look when I have it out.
Stu
1969 Plus 2 Federal LHD
stugilmour
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: