My modified early Spyder chassis

PostPost by: Netec99 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:37 am

He are a few pic's of my early spyder chassis, modified to accept a Zetec engine, MT75 gearbox and Cossie rear diff
This also has Wilwood 4 pot rear calipers with built in handbrake and willwood front 4 pot calipers with vented front discs
Rob
Attachments
024.JPG and
023.JPG and
021.JPG and
020.JPG and
019.JPG and
1 070.JPG and
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pauljones » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:52 am

Rob,

Beautiful,but why go for the cossie diff? whats the advantages/dissadvantages.

Paul
Kick the tyres and light them fires...!!!!!!!
pauljones
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:12 am

Hi Paul,
Not sure the lotus diff could handle 200 Bhp and the Cossie diff is LSD, so better traction
If your Zetec is going to be standard approx 130 Bhp, then you could use your standard diff. If that is the case, you might aswell use your standard gearbox and bolt it onto the Zetec engine using spyder engine mounts.
regards
Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:37 pm

Rob,
That looks very nice work.

Will you be drilling a hole through the ol filter cannister for the steering column? a very shallow filter is the normal solution. (sorry couldn't resist that!)

Willwoods front and rear will be interesting, are you looking at having adjustable bias?

I hope you keep the pictures coming as you progress, it will be nice to see someone else's project slowly taking shape as the months go by.

Regards
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:33 pm

Hi Alan,
10 out of 10 for spotting the deliberate mistake with the oil filter. I did realise the filter was to big and will probably use either a compact filter or a 90* adaptor.
I also plan to install a brake bias adjuster.
Will post some more pic's as the project progresses.

Regards
Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gav » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:04 pm

Hi Rob

Great job.
Interesting rear damper set up. How much damper travel do you have at the rear?

Thanks
Gavin
One day I'll actually finish - completely - one day....
gav
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: bigvalvehead » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:53 am

Hi Rob
Can you post some more detail pics of the diff mounting please?
Cheers
dave
Dave Hughes
S2 26R
Elan DHC Sprint
Shapecraft Honda powered S1(in progress)
Turbocharged 26R clone (also in progress)
Evora 400 development car ex Lotus Factory
bigvalvehead
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: edd_brady » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 am

Wow, that set-up looks great. You mention that you have an old Spyder chassis. Does it have the early caster angle in the front suspension or the later angle? Does anyone on the boards have a comparison of the performance of cars with each angle. I have a '71 Sprint with the later (3 degree) caster and plenty of understeer at low speeds. I've used higher caster angle on US cars to reduce it and wonder if the earlier Elans have less understeer. Also, wonder why Lotus changed the angle.

thanks in advance for any insights,

Edd
edd_brady
New-tral

PostPost by: jimj » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:53 am

I thought the long travel, soft springs, stiff dampers, especially at the rear was crucial to the Lotus ride/handling compromise. It looks in the photos as if when the rear is loaded there will be very little vertical movement. Clearly you`ve gone to enormous trouble so you must have calculated that it will work but as a non-engineer I`m intrigued as to how.
Jim
jimj
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gerrym » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 pm

Netec, I used the Ford Racing 90 degree adaptor for the filter. I believe Summit sell them.

Regards
Gerry
gerrym
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:12 pm

gav wrote:Hi Rob

Great job.
Interesting rear damper set up. How much damper travel do you have at the rear?

Thanks
Gavin

Hi Gavin
I think it will give me as much suspension travel as a standard set up. The dampers are set further in so they don't need as much travel as the standard vertical set up. This was the way Spyder built this chassis, I have just replaced the dampers with GAZ replacement adjustable dampers.
Regards
Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:14 pm

gerrym wrote:Netec, I used the Ford Racing 90 degree adaptor for the filter. I believe Summit sell them.

Regards
Gerry

Thanks Gerry,
It's probably the way i'll go. I'll check out Summit

regards
Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:18 pm

edd_brady wrote:Wow, that set-up looks great. You mention that you have an old Spyder chassis. Does it have the early caster angle in the front suspension or the later angle? Does anyone on the boards have a comparison of the performance of cars with each angle. I have a '71 Sprint with the later (3 degree) caster and plenty of understeer at low speeds. I've used higher caster angle on US cars to reduce it and wonder if the earlier Elans have less understeer. Also, wonder why Lotus changed the angle.

thanks in advance for any insights,

Edd

Edd,
My chassis is a +2 chassis, so I don't know about different caster angles, Sorry
Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: stevebroad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:59 am

Just found this thread. Any progress on build?

I have a slight concern re the rear dampers. The top mount is in single shear and takes quite a lot of punishment. Have you thought about fitting a supporting bracket in order to make it double shear?

A standard Elan crown wheel and pinion will handle at least 220bhp. However, I did fit a quaife LSD in order to even out the power to both wheels.
stevebroad
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Netec99 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:13 pm

Hi Steve,

This rear suspension set up was done by spyder.
The top mount is not a single bolt, but a stud which runs through from front to the rear of the chassis giving it good support.

The project to moving on now. The rolling chassis is complete and the body shell has come back from the paint shop.
I will post some more pic's in the next week or so :D

Rob
Netec99
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: