26R Chassis HOWTO

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:03 am

Hi,
I have recently acquired an Elan coupe basket case and the chassis (surprise, surprise !) needs work. For a variety of reasons I would like to build up the chassis to be like a 26R chassis. Rather than sussing out how to do it from inspecting some pics I have I am hoping that someone has something like a set of instructions on how to mod a standard chassis to 26R spec. Thanks.

Best,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: holywood3645 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:31 am

holywood3645
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:19 am

I might be the person to most recently undertake this project, having completed it during the late summer. I didn't come across an actual recipe with written instruction, but some descriptions and lots of great photos helped.

Jerry (jkolb) posted a bunch of photos in two threads:
post97201.html
elan-racing-f12/frame-modifications-t18159.html

You already got the link to the AVO mods from Holywood. And I tried to pass along my insights based on my experience. I posted it in my restore blog, complete with more photos here:

elan-f15/restore-blog-elan-4378-t23756.html
(Scroll down a couple posts till you see pictures of a frame).

It's all there for you to figure out. If you need additional info, just holler. In the meantime, tell us about your basket case, and send photos. We don't like to read as much as look at pictures. :P What's the history of the car? Where'd you get it? What's it need? Where are you located? etc., etc., etc.

Good luck.
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:59 am

Thanks to both of you, this is much appreciated. I don't really think that this is the place to post the pics of my basket case but WTH.
67 lotus elan 10.JPG and

67 lotus elan 9.JPG and
67 lotus elan 8.JPG and

It *is* a bit rough, but like Jackson Pollack's art, it's not as bad as it looks. The car came out of La Belle Province de Quebec, a couple of English car guys found it on a farm west of Montreal. They don't know the story and your imagination is at least as good as mine.

The interior is essentially missing, as are the engine and box. I have an engine in bits and am leaning towards a semi-close ratio T-5 box with the .63 OD 5th. It also lacks the headlight actuator dohickies and related gubbins. I hope to do the 26R headlight conversion so that's not an issue at the moment. The chassis is complete and rolling and I have the other pop up headlight, the doors and lids but apart from that, all that I have is what can be seen in the pics.

This is going to be a low budget restoration as I have twin sons starting University next year. The big challenge (and fun) for me will be to find ways of doing it properly on a shoe string.

Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: bilcoh » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:23 am

JonnyPlus2 wrote:The big challenge (and fun) for me will be to find ways of doing it properly on a shoe string.

Reminds me of the guy that traded up from a paper clip until he got a house.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip

You seem to have the right attitude. And if the photos of the car are taken at your home, it appears you're likely to have lots of wonderful country lanes to enjoy once you get running.

BTW, I'm an instant fan of anyone who can use "dohickies" and "glubbins" in a sentence. :o
Dave
'66 Elan S2 - 26/4378
bilcoh
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:02 am

The pics were taken at the seller's buddy's house just west of Montreal. (Great guy, he has a Daimler 250 sedan and an MG-A).

Unfortunately I live in Ontario, a huge province, which some 250 odd years ago was victimized by Evil Lord Simcoe, (no relation to Evil Roy Slade) the British Governor General who had the roads laid out in a grid pattern. We have the worst driving in the known world as there are hardly any winding roads to be found anywhere. But we soldier on, always looking for the next bend, even if it won't occur for another 20 minutes. ;-)

Regards,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elansprint71 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:58 pm

Great project and I like your attitude. :D
elansprint71
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:14 pm

Greetings Jonny,

An S3 Airflow Coupe eh? La creme de la creme!

Please don't listen to anyone who suggests cutting the roof off and replacing it with a plastic or mohair frame tent! :)

Good luck with it and all the thingamabobs thingymajigs and whadyamacallits! :wink:

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:20 pm

Hi Richard,

La Creme de la creme ? Well, I'm coupe kind of guy so no worries, the top's staying but this one is more like the junk of the junk.

Best,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ardee_selby » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:16 am

JonnyPlus2 wrote:...this one is more like the junk of the junk

If that's true, then the only way is up! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeyOnNple4M :wink:)

But, back OT...for my edification...what actually differentiates an original 26/R frame from a road version?

Having looked at this: (http://www.lotuselan.net/uploads/26r_parts01.pdf) There is only mention of an additional front diaphragm being welded to chassis. No mention of rear anti-roll (sway) bar mountings...and I'm not sure what the "crash bar" is/was...roll-bar?

Thereafter we have the TTR version & then all of the AVO add-ons.

Cheers - Richard
ardee_selby
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:17 pm

"for my edification...what actually differentiates an original 26/R frame from a road version?"
Hi Richard,
Beats me ! I'm not a 26R expert nor am I a big fan of originality per se. I just want a really strong foundation so that the building doesn't fall down, if you get my (four wheel) drift. I'll likely go to CV driveshafts for the same reason.

Regards,
Jon
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:38 pm

I love it and can't wait to watch the progress. I did notice you're missing the henway the controls the hootensnatcher. keep checking eBay for that.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:34 am

Doohickie and gubbins are traditional and well established technical terms, (the later much favoured by St. Henry of Manney).

I am thus somewhat nonplussed by the inclusion "henway" and "hootensnatcher", terms which apprear to have no pedigree and possibly perverse and sexual implications. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of perversity but you just can't get a chicken to stay in a Lotus.
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: twincamman » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:36 pm

If you decide to sell the dash pad Im in the market ---ed
dont close your eyes --you will miss the crash

Editor: On June 12, 2020, Edward Law, AKA TwinCamMan, passed away; his obituary can be read at https://www.friscolanti.com/obituary/edward-law. He will be missed.
twincamman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JonnyPlus2 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 1:29 pm

Hi All,

Stage I - Remove the body is complete ! (Pics plus half-witicisms to follow). I'm now onto Stage II - Strip the chassis.

I am about to start reporting on the restoration and I am wondering which section of the Forums would be the most appropriate place to open the thread in. Or I could just continue this thread. Please advise. Thanks.

Regards,
Jonny
Best,
Jonny B
36/6322
JonnyPlus2
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: