so what all is in a zetec conversion?

PostPost by: scottlong1 » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:22 am

Ok, I gotta ask, what is required, other than a zetec, to convert? I'm not really familiar with these engines but am assuming that they are out of a fwd, in north america anyway. Programmable ecu and injection, or custom manifolds and carbs? Bellhousing and clutch issues? Oilpan? waterpump and weird hose locations? which is the best engine to get? I'm intrigued by 2 litres in an elan, sounds about perfect for everyday fun. I know that spyder has it down pat, but what would it take for a competent person to convert a basically stock s4?

Scott
Scott
69 dhc
scottlong1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 am

scottlong1 wrote:Ok, I gotta ask, what is required, other than a zetec, to convert? I'm not really familiar with these engines but am assuming that they are out of a fwd, in north america anyway. Programmable ecu and injection, or custom manifolds and carbs? Bellhousing and clutch issues? Oilpan? waterpump and weird hose locations? which is the best engine to get? I'm intrigued by 2 litres in an elan, sounds about perfect for everyday fun. I know that spyder has it down pat, but what would it take for a competent person to convert a basically stock s4?

Scott

Hi Scott,

I think that within a few sentences you've covered practically all of the aspects that have to be considered.
If you are planning to whip out the Twincam & "just" replace it with a Zetec.
I've done practically that in my S4.
If you care to plough through my posts you'll find a fair amount of information on the subject.
Any competent person can do the job fairly easily nowadays because all of the bits you'll need can be bought.
The exhaust system will need to be "made to measure" & maybe some other bits as well.
The cooling system also needs special attention.
I'd also recommend beefing up the drive train & brakes if you go for 2 Liters
Basically it's a question of how good is your workshop (or your friendly one) & how deep your pockets are.
I'd be pleased to answer any specific questions if you decide to go ahead.
Initially you need to decide what you want to change in the car.
Engine only?
Engine + MT75 g/box?
Spyder chassis?
Etc.

Cheers
John
Last edited by GrUmPyBoDgEr on Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:20 am

In my case a "Zetec conversion" consists of the full Spyder package which combines Spyder engineering with the Ford parts bin of the last 15 years:
o Chassis, suspension & wheels by Spyder (including revised rear suspension*)
o Ford Hubs, brakes, handbrake
o Ford Zetec, gearbox, clutch, diff and axles
o Jenvey throttle bodies, Ford ignition

Then you take apart the rest, clean it, blast it, paint it, till, in the end, you have a new car.
o New wiring loom
o New anything else new I can buy (windshield) or find (rear lens added to engine deal) or build (dash) or refurbish (speedo, tach)
o A continuous account at Paul Matty and Chris Neil (door panel clips; bonnet release, "chrome" windshield seals...)
o "UltraLeather" interior

Not something everyone wants. But I did (and do). Will be on the road this month.

Keith

*I know the vices of the original rear suspension design too well. Yes, I should drive so as to not invoke trailing throttle oversteer but sometimes it happens. Scarily.
Attachments
ready for interior.JPG and
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: scottlong1 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:41 pm

I would likely do the engine only, and would prefer carbs. Is the ford ignition used to get around a lack of a distributor? Any idea what the engine came out of? We have the focus and fusion over here.

Scott
Scott
69 dhc
scottlong1
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: kcrossle » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:37 pm

Well, sorta the main point of the Zetec conversion is to have the whole modern package. Otherwise, what's the point?

The Spyder package is based on a crate motor and selected new & recycled parts.
kcrossle
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: GrUmPyBoDgEr » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:04 am

scottlong1 wrote:I would likely do the engine only, and would prefer carbs. Is the ford ignition used to get around a lack of a distributor? Any idea what the engine came out of? We have the focus and fusion over here.

Scott

I can recommend Dunnel Engines for most of the bits you will need.
Paul can provide a fully fettled intake manifold that will suit Weber's or injection units.
I don't think that the Ford induction system will fit into an Elan.
You will need an appropriate ECU + Engine Wiring Harness, I think you will be well served with a 3D system & a Throttle position Sensor can be easily fitted to Webers. The ECU uses the Zetec crank sensor & Water temp. signals as well.
The Zetec Coil & high tension system is retained.
I'm not certain if the Ford cars you mention use the 2 Liter variant of the Zetec.

Cheers
John
Beware of the Illuminati

Editor: On Sunday morning, February 8th 2015, Derek "John" Pelly AKA GrumpyBodger passed away genuinely peacefully at Weston Hospicecare, Weston Super Mare. He will be missed.
GrUmPyBoDgEr
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: