Lotus Elan

**** Server Upgrade ******

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:39 am

I have noticed that a lot UK based posters seem to be posting at ridiculous o clock times of the day, and night. However I know that Types26 / 36 does not stir from his bed until 10.30am :lol: yet his last post was made at 3.30am and the previous poster, JonB posted at 3am.

Both members are keen posters but I am not having it that they are now geting up at silly o clock to answer questions, but could be wrong. What is going on with timings, is the site now only showing US time?

Leslie

Something weird going on here. When I last looked at the AIR CLEANER thread, it showed the times I mentioned above. On looking again, and now logged in, the times show as 9am. Do times of posts alter if you are logged in or not, never used to?
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:34 am

Quite right Leslie, I didn't make a post at 0300hrs. I'd have to be much more enthusiastic. :D

I suspect what's going on is that when the page is rendered the displayed time is calculated with reference to the user's time zone. In the database it is probably stored as US time, so it needs to be converted when the user's browser requests the page, and the user is in a different time zone.

I've just done a small test using Chrome's Incognito browser mode (so, no cookies or login). It shows my post on the "air cleaner housing" thread at 03:02; whereas if I look at the same post from a normal browser window (logged in) it shows the correct time as 09:02.
Early 1973 Elan Plus 2S 130/5 - UK - Unit 50/1115L
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Thu Jan 23, 2020 1:57 pm

Each member's profile contains their time-zone and whether or not summer time is active.

Judging by JonB's message, that data is held in a cookie on member's own computer.

Servers normally store date/times of messages in UTC format, but Microsoft servers used to use California time.

If a US member has the messages displayed with his local times then messages posted in the UK will indeed be shown as in the middle of his/her night, because that IS when the messages were posted.

I suppose some fora might attempt to show times as the local time of the poster, though I would think that would cause even more confusion. You might get answers apparently 'posted' before the question is posed.

It's a bit of a nightmare for forum software programmers, but hey, Ho the world is a round ball & we have to live with it :D :D :shock:
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:53 pm

512BB wrote:I have noticed that a lot UK based posters seem to be posting at ridiculous o clock times of the day, and night. However I know that Types26 / 36 does not stir from his bed until 10.30am :lol: yet his last post was made at 3.30am and the previous poster, JonB posted at 3am.

So here are the definitive answers based on scenarios:

Guest User - Never Logged In: Server defaults to CST or UTC -6
Guest User - Logged In Before: Server defaults to past user settings
Logged In: Settings as defined in Forum Profile. If not set, defaults to CST or UTC-6

With the conversion to SSL, the system could not access the old cookies. The initial view would show the CST timeframe. Once you logged in, the system was re-cookied with secure data to show your preferred time.

Hope this helps...
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
"Someday I will spend more time on the Elan and less time on the website."
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:58 pm

Yes, it does help Jeff, but wish that part of the upgrade was as before, as I now never know if I have read a last post because the times are so out of whack if I am not logged in. Hey ho.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:19 pm

Stay logged in ?

I always do.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:07 pm

Hi Jeff,

No operational problems but I notice some posts of non-alphanumeric characters are shown as a question mark '?', in particular double-quotes ". Not on all posts, though. My own signature '...1965 S1½' also came in as '...1965 S1 ?' but I have retyped it.

Thanks for the upgrading, I haven't noticed any speed improvement but my system is inherently slow!
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: jcocking » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 am

512BB wrote:Yes, it does help Jeff, but wish that part of the upgrade was as before, as I now never know if I have read a last post because the times are so out of whack if I am not logged in. Hey ho.

Leslie

I made a tweak. log in and log out and see if that solves the issue.

jeff
Jeff Cocking
LotusElan.net
1970 S4 SE
"Someday I will spend more time on the Elan and less time on the website."
jcocking
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:09 am

No, still the same Jeff. When I view logged in, post times are correct. When not logged in, they are still out of whack. Thanks for your efforts.

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:01 pm

Jeff, it may be a coincidence but I seem to have very little contrast in the main text areas now. It used to be fine and the bright blue of the user names is readable but the basic text defies my attempts to get any decent contrast. The titles at the top of this page and the titles "HOME FORUM PHOTOGALLERY AND WKI COMING SOON" are almost invisibel. Didn't used to be like that.

Even highlighting those titles with the cursor is not enough for clear reading and even what I am typing is on the margin. I haven't knowingly changed anything except AH, the last Update of Windows 7. Anyone have any ideas what that might have done, please?

Text in packages seems like Excel and Word are fine but I've just noticed that apart from the basic site names, like "lotuselan.net" all the browser text on that line is almost invisible too. So I will close my Firefox browser and try something like Chrome and see if that is different. I'll let you know!

Well, I'm now in Google Chrome and it is an improvement, the text I'm typing and the web address extras are now very clear but the standard pages and HOME etc titles are still rather uncomfortable to read. I'll keep fiddling and perhaps it is something I've done unwittingly.
Meg

________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: billwill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:22 am

Most computers have a graphics setting panel which allows you to vary the contrast & colours. This is usually graphics-card dependent and is supplied by the graphics-card manufacturer.
Bill Williams

billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:01 am

Well done Mr Jeffery. As of yesterday, the times shown when peeps post is correct now, UK time, whether logged in or not, just like times of old. Not sure if that was by design or something you have tweeked recently, but thanks anyway, much better. Doen't throw me out now, unlike at the Beehive in Edgeware :lol:

Leslie
512BB
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:41 pm

I'm just back from a long holiday and everything appears to be normal using Firefox! They did one update so let's blame them.
Meg

Quart Meg Miles
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alanr » Wed Mar 18, 2020 3:06 pm

The time of posting still isn't correct for me in the UK and hasn't been for some months now. I can live with it but it's a shame it can't be sorted...Or perhaps it is something I can do to sort if someone could tell me how to do it?

Thanks,

Alan
Alan
'71 +2 S130/4
alanr
Third Gear
Third Gear

Previous

Total Online: