1970 Lotus Elan +2S For Sale

PostPost by: max-walls » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:22 pm

IMG_7175.JPG and
1970 Lotus Elan +2S

I bought the car from a listing on this site in 2019 as a (pre) retirement present for myself – I had already owned an M100 for nearly 10 years and fancied something different. Sadly, I have yet to add 1000 miles to the odometer and have concluded that it is time she moved to a new home where she might get more use.

Current mileage is 56k, which I believe to be genuine. The car is in very good order mechanically with the engine, chassis and suspension in very clean condition. Bodywork is not concourse but definitely passes the ‘five yard’ test with flying colours.

The car was bought by the previous owner some 17 years ago as a barn find. In 1975 the car apparently developed a clutch issue and was pushed into a barn where it stayed until he purchased it in 2004. The car then underwent an extensive 12-year restoration.

It has had a replacement chassis, all new suspension and brakes plus spider rear drive shafts. The engine has sprint cams, larger valves and burton replaceable front water pump. Headlights have been converted to electronic motors. It has also been converted from dynamo to alternator charging and has a Lumenition Optronic ignition system fitted.

Seats are in good shape with no tears and the interior looks good, aided by a new dash; window motors work well. The roof lining has been replaced and could be tidier in places. The car has the original rear screen with the Tollgate sticker on it (Tollgate were the Lotus agents in Sussex) as well as the original number plate which has Tollgate Engineering on it. The rear heated screen has vertical elements which is unusual but it doesn’t work.

The V5C shows one previous owner although I also have the original green log book that shows an additional three prior owners.

In addition to resolving a number of ‘interesting’ electrical issues, I have also carried out a number of improvements including fixing bits of trim under the dash, fitting a new windscreen and sorting out a few issues with the Weber carburettors and distributor. It has had a new battery and is running on comfortingly modern rubber.

Although it is registered as an Historic Vehicle, I MOT’d the car last year in advance of driving it from Oxford to my new home in Dorset – it passed with no advisories.

I have a lot of bits and pieces that will be included in the sale including the original vacuum pods, steering wheel, air filter casing and a front bumper. I will also include a parts catalogue and workshop manual. I have a file stuffed with receipts and lots of photos from the car’s restoration. It has had a lot of money, time and effort spent on it.

Inevitably on a car of this age, there are some minor niggles like the clock and radio not working – I haven’t got round to those yet. The car is located in Poundbury, Dorset and can be inspected in a lit garage.

I’m looking for £17,750 OVNO - Please PM me if you are interested. I'm only listing the car on this site at present as I really want her to find a good home.

Regards,

Mark
IMG_7176.JPG and

IMG_7179.JPG and

IMG_7169.JPG and

IMG_7165.JPG and

IMG_7172.JPG and

IMG_7173.JPG and

20210701_120447.jpg and

20210701_120453.jpg and

20210701_120523.jpg and
max-walls
New-tral

PostPost by: Paul318UK » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:11 pm

Hi Max
Can you confirm if the driver shafts have UJ's in board or retained rubber doughnuts? Does the engine number match original (I thought all +2 had alternators from new)? What is the spec of the dampers and are they adjustable?
Regards
Paul
Paul318UK
New-tral

PostPost by: max-walls » Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:12 pm

Hi Paul,

In answer to your questions:

- Yes, it does still have the rubber doughnuts although I believe they are Spyder drive shafts. The doughnuts appear to be in good order.

- The engine number matches the V5C, VIN plate and original green logbook

- I can't help you on the spec of the dampers, but they are Gaz items. Both the platform and rate are adjustable. I have attached a few photos that may help you.

On the alternator, I'm not really a +2 expert, I only know what I have learned - but the wiring diagrams in the handbook seem to suggest dynamo fitment was certainly possible.

If you PM me your contact details, I would be happy to have a chat.

If you have any further questions, please get in touch.

Kind regards,

Mark

20220410_164340.jpg and

20220410_164044.jpg and
max-walls
New-tral

PostPost by: Harryblodnick » Mon May 09, 2022 12:28 pm

Hi there Mark,

Is the Lotus still available, if so could you call me please,

Geoff 07720808966
Harryblodnick
New-tral

PostPost by: Colwise8 » Wed May 18, 2022 8:25 pm

Hi Mark,
Is your Lotus still for sale? If so can I view this coming weekend?
Colin
Colwise8
New-tral

PostPost by: max-walls » Thu May 19, 2022 9:21 am

Hi Colin,

I'm sorry, but I have just taken a deposit on the car this morning. I'll let you know in the unlikely event that the sale doesn't complete.

Kind regards,

Mark
max-walls
New-tral

Total Online: