1969 Lotus Elan Convertible Project For Sale

PostPost by: seewin » Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:31 pm

1969 Lotus Elan convertible project for sale. I started a complete body off restoration on this running vehicle about 3 years ago, and due to age and physical limitations, I an unable to complete it. Car shows 80K miles on the speedo, and I believe that to be accurate. List of work is near endless including rebuilt engine (+.020” bore), new valves, bearings, crankshaft .010”/.010”. Webers have been completely rebuilt and look like new. New aluminum flywheel and clutch assy. Frame sandblasted reinforced and painted in semi gloss black urethane. Turrets had minimum rust, but were reinforced at time of assembly, and double sealed for vacuum retention.
All chassis components and suspension were rebuilt, plated, painted. Transmission completely rebuilt with new bearings and synchronizers. Rear suspension completely rebuilt with new bearings/seals, and converted to CV joints. Brakes rebuilt, new rotors, braided ss brake lines. New aluminum fuel tank. Body has had over $5K of professional repair of any delaminated sections, cracks or previous minor repairs. It is ready to go to paint shop.
The chassis is completely assembled and ready for body. Original Koni shocks that came with car have been professionally rebuilt by “True Choice” New alternator and modern starter also installed. New Michelin radials on newly painted factory wheels.
Areas still needing attention are paint job, interior refurbishing, new dash board, new windshield (original has large crack). Have original wiring harness, but had planned on installing a new one.
I also have many new parts for exterior such as weatherstrip, chrome letters, knock offs, restored original “Colin Chapman” leather covered steering wheel etc etc etc.
This will make someone a great Elan. I have restored vintage cars for nearly 50 years and have spared no effort on this one. I also have original documentation letter from Lotus, with all particulars. This car was originally sold to a dealer in England who specialized in purchases for U.S. service men and would arrange transport to the U.S. . It left factory in primer and was painted in what appears to be original red/white/gold JPS colors here in the states. It was subsequently painted dove gray and had small flare extensions added to rear wheel openings. These are still present and can be removed and returned to original configuration is so desired. I purchased this car from a friend who bought it used in the Dallas, TX area in the early 80’s. It has been a Texas car as far back as I can trace. It had set undriven in his garage from the 80’s until I purchased it 3 years ago.
I am asking $20,000 for this car and have well over that invested not counting 100's of hours of my own work. I have lots of pictures, but would prefer a face to face inspection by potential buyer. All receipts are available with car along with original parts removed. I live in the Kansas City, MO area. Please contact me with any questions or if you would like some pictures. This has the potential to be a super car for the Elan enthusiast.
**I would entertain any reasonable offer on this car. I need the garage space.**
seewin
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: