Selling my beloved 130/5

PostPost by: Chris » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:45 pm

This is an advert I never thought I would write, the time has come to reluctantly sell my beloved Elan, however age and lack of use catches up. I offer it for sale to an enthusiast only who will care for it and enjoy it. 

My Elan was featured recently in issue 8 of Absolute Lotus with a 6 page write up, and as you will see from the pictures it really is in good condition.

This car was built in 1973 and first registered in 1974. It was purchased by myself an ex aerospace engineer in 1991. It then underwent a complete rebuild over two years using a Spydersport space frame chassis. All suspension bushes were replaced. A reconditioned steering rack, with new track rod ends, new trunnions, and upright top bearings were fitted. It is sitting on spydersport springs and Spax dampers at the front, and 2.125” rear springs on adjustable platforms at the rear with new Spax dampers.

ENGINE
The engine underwent a complete overhaul and rebuild using a 711M block, decked to the correct height, giving a capacity of 1650cc, and a CR of 10:1 The cylinder head was converted by Burtons to unleaded standard. New CPL 2 camshafts were fitted operating 1.625” inlet, and 1.4” exhaust valves. Big end and main bearings were renewed as were the cam followers sleeves and bearings. Electronic ignition was       installed. An electric fuel pump with pressure regulator feeds the twin Dellorto carbs. A new timing case with cassette water pump has been recently fitted. The block has been painted in the correct Lotus grey, and the cam cover in crackle black.

GEAR BOX
The gearbox has been fully overhauled with new selector forks and syncro hubs. The  original “weak”  input shaft bearing, which causes poor gear changes due to end float, has been replaced with a heavy duty bearing thus eliminating the problem, giving a much improved gear change.

WHEELS AND TYRES
The original Lotus alloy wheels have recently been restored, and are fitted with new 175 x 60 x 13 Uniroyal Rain Expert tyres.

FINAL DRIVE
The differential is 3.77:1. The Lotus rubber Rotoflex half shafts were replaced with constant velocity units thus eliminating the annoying transmission wind– up.

BRAKES
The original disc brakes were retained, but new S/Steel pistons were fitted to prevent seizure. The hand brakes were overhauled, and in some cases re bushed.

BODY
The body shell was removed and completely stripped of paint, and any gel cracks repaired, new sill units and closure plates were fitted. It was then finished in two pack paint in its original Monaco White on its   rebuild. New bound carpets were installed, including the boot and inside the boot lid. A new headlining was 
installed and the two front seats were recovered. A new burr walnut dash board was fitted with radio 
cassette player. It also has the rare and correct air intake trim. The correct Lucas chrome backed square 8 spot and fog lamps. Quartz headlights and a larger battery were fitted. It also has an automatic aerial and s/steel exhaust..

Mileage when bought  Circa  63,000
       Present mileage                      72429
       Miles since rebuild      Circa  9,500 

Much History, and Photographic evidence of its rebuild is available.

£25000.00 0VNO
Attachments
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 012.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 009.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 008.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 007.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 006.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 005.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 003.jpg and
PictureLotus insurance pictures 2008 001.jpg and
Chris
Second Gear