Elan Plus 2 S130 Barn Find

PostPost by: Geoffoman » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:14 am

Hi Alan.

A guy called Alex purchased the car. He's an engineer, so has a passion for these things.....fingers crossed he does it justice....
Geoffoman
New-tral

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:40 pm

I met Alex yesterday when he came over to have a chat through the approaches to restoring the car.

My S4 Elan has the body off the chassis currently, with the rolling chassis, engine, gearbox and differential being restored after the car had been laid up for 35 years. Pretty much the same condition as the Plus 2.

I think that's the approach he's going to take now as getting the body off the chassis gives superb access to all the main mechanical bits that will need sorting, whilst keeping the body, glass, wiring, interior, dash and most of the plumbing all together to tackle as separate projects once the 'big bits' have been done.

There's nothing worse that ripping it all apart and being overwhelmed by the amount of work to do!

I'm sure he will do a great job.

Mark
Attachments
z11.jpg and
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Geoffoman » Wed Jan 01, 2020 4:48 pm

Thanks for the update. Geoff
Geoffoman
New-tral

PostPost by: Alex.L » Thu Jan 02, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Alex and I'm the lucky new owner of this Elan +2s. I'm also new to the forum, hello to everyone.

Geoff, thank you for your time.

I'm looking forward to soaking up all of the valuable information here to get the car back on the road.
Alex.L
New-tral

PostPost by: Alex.L » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:45 am

As Mark mentioned I went over to see him to understand more about the challenges and to start constructing a plan for getting it back on the road. A big thanks to Mark for removing some of the uncertainties I had, and now I'm even more excited about the project.
Based on the discussions we had, and as Mark mentioned, the plan is indeed to get the body off to do all of the necessary mechanics, and to tidy up and further rust proof the structures.

Alex
Alex.L
New-tral

PostPost by: 512BB » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:54 am

Welcome to the board Alex. Car looks great. Why don't you start a restoration thread in the PLUS 2 FORUM DISCUSSION area with plenty of pictures. You will have many followers.

Best

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alex.L » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:10 am

Hi Leslie,
Thanks for the suggestion. I think that's a good idea. I'll have a look at some examples if restoration threads and will start one for this car.
Alex
Alex.L
New-tral

PostPost by: S3FHC » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:55 pm

Alex.L wrote:Hi everybody, my name is Alex and I'm the lucky new owner of this Elan +2s. I'm also new to the forum, hello to everyone.

Geoff, thank you for your time.

I'm looking forward to soaking up all of the valuable information here to get the car back on the road.

Hello Alex,

welcome to the forum and congratulations on collecting your +2!

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Andrewelan » Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:19 pm

Hi Alex

if you still need standard driveshafts I'm happy to part with mine as my car came with a Tony Thompson ones to replace

Andrew
1963 Nuffield 460
1987 E28 M5 #180
2006 E90 320si
2006 E46 318Ci
2009 Elise R
2016 F11 520d
2018 T6 150TDi DSG
Andrewelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:21 am

Hi Alex

Well done on your purchase, and for committing to a restoration.

I have something that may be of use to you. A Plus 2 body dolly in steel that comes apart and packs flat for storage. It was given to me by another member, on the understanding that when I had finished with it, I should pass it along to the next guy free of charge. I will do this, as long as you honour that condition when you have finished your own restoration, and impose the same on the future recipient.

You will have to collect it from West Sussex (A27 / coast, not far from Brighton).

Regards
JonB
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alex.L » Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:27 pm

Hi Andrew,
I am very thankful for the proposal, however I was planning to install something similar like Spyder or Paul Matty, ones, and hence I would like to respectfully decline the offer. Thank you.

JonB
I am once again thankful! This I will need, but you are far away (I'm near Bridgnorth in Shropshire). Whilst deciding on when I can come over to collect, I can commit to honoring the system of passing it on.

As a little update. I am still waiting for my new garage to start the restoration. COVID-19 has had a negative impact on this. In the meantime, I have moved the radiator forward to have access to the front of the engine and managed to rotate it manually, which I am very pleased about. I have also ordered and received my new Spyder sill members, but cannot fit them in its current storage place. My plan was to fit the sills and then get the body off for doing the mechanical stuff.

I am in two minds on what to do with the paint. I have done a polishing test on one side and it is visibly better. I could definitely live with it like that for a year or two. However, in many locations it is crazed and chipped. I would love to have it resprayed in a shade of green, which would be in line with my "dream" at 20 years of age, but I would lose the originality.
Any suggestions? Flaky originality (is it really important?) vs good condition personal preference?

Alex
Alex.L
New-tral

PostPost by: JonB » Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:22 pm

Alex, don’t worry. I have family in Herefordshire and will visit them as soon as.

If I remember I will take the dolly and leave it there so you can pick it up.
JonB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Alex.L » Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:11 pm

Excellent, thank you.
Alex.L
New-tral

PostPost by: Andrewelan » Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:26 pm

No worries on the driveshafts. I wouldnt have planned to go the solid route myself but since the car arrived with a brand new set there was no point buying new Roto's. I sprinted and hillclimbed an S4 for years on roto's and the only thing that broke was an output shaft. They are a seriously maligned system: Chapman knew his onions!
1963 Nuffield 460
1987 E28 M5 #180
2006 E90 320si
2006 E46 318Ci
2009 Elise R
2016 F11 520d
2018 T6 150TDi DSG
Andrewelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

Previous

Total Online: