1970 Plus 2S for Sale - Running Restoration Project - SOLD

PostPost by: johns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:40 pm

Lotus Elan MVF136H

I am offering for sale my 1970 Lotus Elan +2S, which I have owned for the past 13 years. Whilst the car is in good condition it does require some work, detailed below, and I am therefore describing it as a ?running restoration project?. It is currently taxed (until 31/3/17) and has a valid MOT (until 20/4/17). Clearly the cars age means it is classed as Historic and tax exempt for RFL.

The car (Chassis Number 50/0080L) was originally sold by Lotus on 1st May 1970, and at that time was yellow. It underwent a major restoration rebuild in 1990 at which time the Chassis and Front Suspension were replaced with Spyder ones. The exhaust, excluding the manifold, was also replaced with a high quality stainless steel system. At some point, possibly at this time, the head was modified to ?Big Valve? specification and the car?s colour was changed to Carnival Red. There is a comprehensive folder of receipts for the majority of the work on the car at the time of the rebuild and since. The rebuild also featured in a magazine article at the time, there is a copy in the file. Today it has covered some 53000 miles and this mileage is supported by MOT certificates back to the 1980s. Other features include electric aerial, Sony radio/CD player and rear lap seat belts

In recent times, under my ownership, the following significant work has been undertaken
    the head has been overhauled
    a new electronic ignition system has been fitted and more recently a new Magnecor distributor cap and ignition leads.
    all the Rotoflex couplings have been replaced
    a new exhaust manifold has been fitted
    new door cards fabricated and replaced

It still retains all the magic that made the Elan such an iconic car to drive and there is no reason for it not to continue to do so for a long time to come.

Now for the ?Work?, not all of which is essential or immediate but I want to be honest about the condition!
The body shell is sound, other than a small crack on the front n/s wheel arch, but after 27 years is in need of a proper respray. However a respray could be delayed for several years as it would only provide a cosmetic enhancement.
    All the, original (5), alloy wheels are in need of refurbishment.
    The rear o/s wheel hub is in need of attention (possibly replacement?) as one of the wheel locating pins is loose
    The dashboard requires either reveneering or replacing
    The exterior temperature gauge, like those on many Plus 2Ss!, is not working
    The clock is not working
    The instrument lights do not work - I suspect it is no more than a faulty wire/earth
    The passenger window switch only operates in the down position (swapping the wires around showed it was the switch not the motor)
    Heated rear window does not work (connectors on the edge of the glass have been broken off at some point)
    The switch panel under the steering column and the under dash trim is in need of attention
    The hoses to the eyeball fresh air vents need replacing and the heater fan could do with an overhaul
    The sills will require replacement at some point as the jacking points are showing signs of corrosion

Why am I selling it? The main reason is that I rarely get a chance to use it and as with all mechanical things it needs to be used regularly or it starts to deteriorate. I am also about to embark upon some major building work and wish to release the capital tied up in the car to help fund that. Finally I personally do not have the time, skills or garage resources available to undertake the required work and the cost of getting it done professionally, given the upcoming building work and lack of use, mean it is not a financially viable option for me at the current time. I would much rather it went to a new owner who could use it an enjoy it the manner intended.

Please PM me if would like to view the car - it is based in Surrey, not far from M25 J13 - or if you want further information.

I am looking for offers in region of ?10,000 ad have posted here rather than on eBay as I would rather it went to a true enthusiast than simply someone who thinks it might be worth a punt.

Thanks for looking

7/4/17 This vehicle is now sold. I will leave it to the new owner to reveal more about themselves if they wish. Suffice to say I am very happy with where it has gone and know that it will get the love and attention it deserves
Attachments
DSC_0010.JPG and
DSC_0008.JPG and
DSC_0007.JPG and
DSC_0006.JPG and
DSC_0005.JPG and
DSC_0004.JPG and
dsc_0003.jpg and
dsc_0001.jpg and
dsc_0002.jpg and
Last edited by johns on Fri Apr 07, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:55 pm

Good luck with the sale. As a matter of interest, being a +2S why doesn't it have the fog/spot lights in the front?
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: johns » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:28 pm

Something that has always puzzled me too. There is no obvious sign of any panel replacement and no record of a new shell being fitted. Those I have discussed it with have suggested that perhaps Lotus just built it that way because they had the shell and Colin Chapman was nothing if not frugal and cars were often built to a spec determined by available parts rather than any brochure.
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:52 am

should the chassis number be 50/0800?
only ask as I think 50/0080 should be a 67 car
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:36 am

theelanman wrote:should the chassis number be 50/0800?

With the L on the end I imagine it should be the new style number, i.e.

7001010080L

L is the designation for a domestic +2S. My car is number 0019L, so a little older...
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:27 pm

draenog wrote:
theelanman wrote:should the chassis number be 50/0800?

With the L on the end I imagine it should be the new style number, i.e.

7001010080L

L is the designation for a domestic +2S. My car is number 0019L, so a little older...

I agree but the post clearly states a type 50 chassis number........I note too that the wheels are from the S130 not the +2s of 1970......
these are the best wheel IMHO
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johns » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:58 pm

If you look at this link http://elanregistry.org/guide.php the 71 prefix for chassis numbers only came in from the 130 prior to that they were Type 50s. The alloys were a factory option in 1970
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: draenog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:08 pm

johns wrote:If you look at this link ... the 71 prefix for chassis numbers only came in from the 130 prior to that they were Type 50s. The alloys were a factory option in 1970

Sorry, but my car is a 1970 +2S and it is number 7001010019L.

Also the +2 parts list and workshop manual states it was in effect from January 1970. Link http://www.lotuselan.net/wiki/Intro_-_Vehicle_Chassis_Numbers_and_Part_Numbers-Plus2
draenog
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: johns » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:31 pm

I can only assume that the early +2S cars had their chassis numbers allocated prior to the new system being introduced. I have a letter from Lotus confirming my car, with that chassis number, was sold to its first owner on 1st May 1970 and a matching V5 saying it was first registered on 1st may 1970. There also a good number of +2S cars on the Elan Register with 50 prefix chassis numbers. For those first registered in 1970 there seems to be a mixture of 50 prefix and 71 prefix adding to my view that there was a change over period with ealry cars u sing the old system and later cars that year using the new system
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm

50/2536 was the last type 50
built Dec '69....after that the numbers became 70........L
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: johns » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:53 pm

Clearly Lotus and the DVLA have a different opinion!
Attachments
img_0929-copy.jpg and
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: theelanman » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:44 am

very interesting.........
that doesn't conform to anything Lotus have issued before

that info is what I have on the spread sheet issued many years ago.......but not with the prefix of 50.....
ah well....another Lotus ism.....lol

FYI
80L was as you say 20.4.70 in Bahama engine number F22208
80M was built 1.09.70 in Carnival Red engine F23097
80N was built 22.02.71 in Carnival Red engine I24226
theelanman
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: fillpoke » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:33 pm

I know this isn't what you are looking for but wondering if ?8000 would be of any interest. All I have available I'm afraid :cry:
fillpoke
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: johns » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:35 pm

Sorry but I could not let it go for that price
johns
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: fillpoke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:30 pm

I totally understand. So if i was able to beg, steal or borrow some further funds what would be your best price? Best regards Dave
fillpoke
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: