'67 S3 coupe project - NJ USA

PostPost by: lotus looker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:32 pm

S3FHC wrote:The adage "buy the best example you can find" is fine, assuming you can afford to buy the best example.

I'd say the adage "buy the best you can afford" is more accurate, given the rising prices at the moment.

Not every potential Elan owner has the luxury of being able to pick the very best and may have to buy whatever their budget permits, then renovate the car as and when they can afford the time & money.

Cars are continually being dragged from garages ("barn finds") after years of neglect, then restored at great expense, with little consideration to their "investment" accepting that the costs will exceed the end value.

It's a good thing that there are these enthusiasts who are prepared to restore cars despite the end value NOT covering the expense invested in it, otherwise these cars would remain neglected or lost forever.

Many enthusiasts will restore a car with the intention of keeping it and, if they are lucky, perhaps see its value creep up over time. If they are very fortunate, they may have chosen a particular marque or model of vehicle that is worth more that the costs of its restoration once completed.

No dealer in his right mind would do what an enthusiast would as they would go bust unless they've either:
a) been given the car b) bodge the work required c) found something very sought-after and valuable.

Mark
Hello Mark; Very well stated & I agree with many of the positions you have voiced & taken.

As I too, also relish & find a great degree of personal satisfaction & accomplishment in resurrecting a car, that being stated in this specific example of the car being discussed, the "enthusiast" doing the restoration would have to possess tremendous body work skills JUST to complete the butchered up wheel wells to a satisfactory level of acceptance, then there's the issue of the missing drivetrain, which eliminates the coveted "Matching Numbers Drive Train" aspect.

My point of contention is this..."If" an "enthusiast" had the necessary skills to restore this Elan, I believe the "enthusiast" would start with a MUCH BETTER example with which to utilize their Very Impressive list of skills...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: tedtaylor » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:20 pm

:D
Last edited by tedtaylor on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TED
"Driving a Lotus is a triumph of bravery over intelligence." Stirling Moss
"TaylorMadeClassicCars" on WWW and Facebook
tedtaylor
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: collins_dan » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:25 pm

collins_dan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:45 pm

That's this car Dan, been off the road since 1977, and it took Geoff 18 months to restore top to bottom. He did all the work himself, has done a fantastic job, and like me, he';s no spring chicken!

lotus-elan-f19/restoration-elan-eok-t30930.html

For many of us, the fun of classic cars is turning an ugly duckling into a swan. Once the restoration process has finished, the hunt is on for the next one.

Ted's S3 Coupe looks like a great opportunity to me. It's the perfect candidate for 26R style arches, a set of 26R Revolutions and big spinners, and a hot / noisy engine. Race seats, 26R steering wheel and a big stripe up the middle and the job's done!

Mark, the time tested adage of buying the best you can find is of course dead right, logical and financially the prudent thing to do. I've been ignoring that basic rule for many years now, and have had a ball creating a lot of beautiful swans! And since when have classic cars been the logical thing to buy anyway?

Don't drop the price too much Ted or it will be in a container coming over here, and I've already got way too many ugly ducklings lined up to make pretty.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 65ginetta » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:46 pm

dsc_1584.jpg and
I wanted an S3 Pre Airflow Coupe and looked for months. When I finally found one to look at, it was in a terrible condition, much worse than this car. Most of the trim and lots of the special bits were missing, completely rotted chassis, no engine, a total basket case, I snapped it up. This looks like a really nice project and if I had more time I would do it all over again, just don't fixate on the cost and when its finished you will have you version of a dream car.
This car is 51 #'s after mine and now I've had a good look at the pictures it should be a relatively straight forward and easy project. I'm already wavering !!
Attachments
20150111_163112.jpg and
Last edited by 65ginetta on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
65ginetta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:51 pm

Hello Ted; I'm sorry if my comments leave the appearance of having a "vendetta" against you as that is NOT the impression I was conveying.

When a person for that matter ANY person places a car for sale there is going to be a certain degree/amount of criticism/opinions, naturally there will be a broad range of comments as illustrated in this thread.

I surely have cars that I have purchased that have needed work & were purchased for the "Joy" of working on & restoring those car/s, I also bought those car/s FULLY aware of the costs to restore those cars!

You fully admitted that you are "Not known for selling things cheap"...that will probably be the sticking point in the potential sale of this car, as it's difficult to..."Have your cake & eat it Too"...Mark

The proverb literally means "you cannot both possess your cake and eat it". Once the cake is eaten, it is gone. It can be used to say that one cannot or should not have or want more than one deserves or can handle, or that one cannot or should not try to have two incompatible things.
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 pm

I never did see the point in having a cake without eating it.
Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:20 pm

lotus looker wrote:
When a person for that matter ANY person places a car for sale there is going to be a certain degree/amount of criticism/opinions, naturally there will be a broad range of comments as illustrated in this thread.

And that is why the other bulletin boards I visit say no discussion on for sale threads... :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:21 pm

Elanintheforest wrote:I never did see the point in having a cake without eating it.
Mark
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 pm

pharriso wrote:
lotus looker wrote:

And that is why the other bulletin boards I visit say no discussion on for sale threads... :roll:
Hello Phil; I am also on other cars websites that "allow" positive comments on sales threads but NO critical comments, which for myself is seemingly one sided, I'm a firm believer in "let the chips fall where they may"...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:47 am

65ginetta wrote:
DSC_1584.jpg
I wanted an S3 Pre Airflow Coupe and looked for months. When I finally found one to look at, it was in a terrible condition, much worse than this car. Most of the trim and lots of the special bits were missing, completely rotted chassis, no engine, a total basket case, I snapped it up. This looks like a really nice project and if I had more time I would do it all over again, just don't fixate on the cost and when its finished you will have you version of a dream car.
This car is 51 #'s after mine and now I've had a good look at the pictures it should be a relatively straight forward and easy project. I'm already wavering !!

65ginetta, now THAT is an inspirational pair of photographs! :D

I am very thankful that I bought my restoration project Elan before the recent price hikes as the initial purchase is the biggest hurdle, the following outlay is bearable and the work enjoyable - in an almost masochistic way.

My car's return to the road is underway and is in the earlier stages, close to being a rolling chassis (subframe)
I carry out as much as I can myself and I'm not easily fazed by anything mechanical or structural, however, I've never liked nor understood the black art of electrics so when I get to that stage I'll involve a friend or two!

If you can resurrect an incomplete Elan you do at least have the option of sourcing original, contemporary parts or going for modern, improved parts.

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: 512BB » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:51 am

Once again, the rules in the Cars For Sale section need updating and making clearer.

Some people think that this section is for cars for sale by individuals anywhere and on any site, but it is not. It is a place where MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD ONLY can advertise their cars, and only LOTUS CARS.

Secondly, who is remotely interested if someone thinks that a car advertised, is, in their opinion, expensive, or cheap for that matter. I can make my OWN mind up about it.

The rules of the board state that any negotiation should be done by private message or email. The rules need updating to state that NO COMMENTS are allowed against a members ad, and quite ridiculous that some folk think it okay for them to post pictures of their car on someone else's ad :roll: You want to talk about your restoration and your car. START YOUR OWN THREAD THEN. Guy trying to sell his car here!

Leslie
512BB
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotus looker » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:17 am

512BB wrote:Once again, the rules in the Cars For Sale section need updating and making clearer.

Some people think that this section is for cars for sale by individuals anywhere and on any site, but it is not. It is a place where MEMBERS OF THIS BOARD ONLY can advertise their cars, and only LOTUS CARS.

Secondly, who is remotely interested if someone thinks that a car advertised, is, in their opinion, expensive, or cheap for that matter. I can make my OWN mind up about it.

The rules of the board state that any negotiation should be done by private message or email. The rules need updating to state that NO COMMENTS are allowed against a members ad, and quite ridiculous that some folk think it okay for them to post pictures of their car on someone else's ad :roll: You want to talk about your restoration and your car. START YOUR OWN THREAD THEN. Guy trying to sell his car here!

Leslie
I actually think it's to the OP's ( Ted) advantage that 65ginetta posted "2" pictures of his Elan's restoration as it is evidence of how an Elan in considerable need of restoration can be returned to a thing of beauty! & quite possibly provides incentive & motivation for a potential buyer of Ted's Elan...Mark
lotus looker
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Elanintheforest » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:27 am

Totally agree with you Mark, and with the several views expressed on this topic, there is a well balanced view on the car and it's price being put forward. If I was Ted I'd be very pleased with the publicity being generated about his car!

Remember, Leslie, that rules are for the obedience of fools and the guidance of wise men. There aren't too many fools on this forum, and it is after all, a forum....that is, a place for discussion and debate.

Mark
Elanintheforest
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: S3FHC » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:39 am

I'm also of the opinion that 65ginetta's photographs are exactly the right prompt / suggestion to any others who may be considering buying an incomplete Elan but weren't sure which direction to take.

That is one positive direction as it will lead to someone saving a car from neglect and create a car that, whilst not totally original, may in fact be an improved "development" of the original, much like many Elans which have been modified from the 60's to today in competition use :D

Mark
S3FHC
Second Gear
Second Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: