1967 Pre AirFlow Elan S3 FHC **SOLD**

PostPost by: gmzez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:35 pm

Sadly selling my baby Elan due to loss of storage!

I was about to put her on Ebay but maybe someone on here may want 1st chance?.

Anyway, my "E" Reg Elan FHC is reluctantly up for sale. Its the very rare Pre Airflow S3 model with the lovely smooth body and wheel arches unlike the not so smooth S4 model.

I purchased this Elan in 2007 with the view to slowly carrying out a mild restoration. The previous owner had a full Roll Cage fitted. . Prior to this he also carried out a restoration (2006) with a new SPYDER Chassis, inc SPYDER front suspension and new shocks, bushes bolts and fixings. Also a re spray in Ford Red.. The chassis etc was then sprayed/filled with waxoil. . The rest is std Lotus I believe....

The Elan had a new MOT prior to my purchase, (inc new rear discs and pads and front trunnions), and I then drove her 100 miles home, with no problems. Since this date I then stored the Elan in my garage and just fiddled with her now and then and haven't driven her since!

Last month I fitted a pair of new front calipers but never got around to bleeding the system. as I then lost my storage garage! On inspection the running gear is ok but suggest due to long term storage the rear doughnuts are replaced.. ( my intention was to fit a pair of solid UJ/Drive shafts)

The Elan does start, drive and all gears work fine. (but no brakes) and will need a battery.

The black interior is ok, but has no interior inner cill covers. The door cards are good if a tad untidy. Seats are also very good but the drivers seat has a split near the side squab. A small race steering wheel fitted. Dash is in reasonable condition but the radio is missing. Needs a drivers door rubber seal as old one tatty.

All the controls/windows all work fine inc the (pop up) headlights.

Paintwork has the usual 'stars' and micro blisters that all FibreGlass bodies have,, bearing in mind that its nearly 50 years old. There's a nice gloss to the paint with a small amount of 'Orange Peel' on the O/S/R wing top.

Speedo states 15100 miles.. There is some history I have the ORIGINAL old green log book! I have a couple of old Tax discs and about 11 MOT Cert's starting from 1991 to date.....after the last MOT Cert issued to me in 2007 the Elan has been stored and unused.

This is NOT a pristine or concourse Elan! and with a small amount of work you'll be driving it for an MOT!

Valuation is hard to find on this very rare model of Elan but I'm looking for offers around ?17k. The last one I saw on Ebay (2014) sold for circa ?16,000 and was an absolute basket case!

Would be ideal for racing in the HSCC race series...

The Car is Located near Stokenchurch Bucks..

c2cb_1.jpg
c2cb_1.jpg (72.72 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

c48d_1.jpg
c48d_1.jpg (66.96 KiB) Viewed 3642 times

c3bd_1.jpg
c3bd_1.jpg (67.07 KiB) Viewed 3643 times

c519_1.jpg
c519_1.jpg (79.23 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

c71e_1.jpg
c71e_1.jpg (59.72 KiB) Viewed 3631 times

c62b_1.jpg
c62b_1.jpg (80.13 KiB) Viewed 3631 times
Last edited by gmzez on Mon Sep 21, 2015 8:27 am, edited 7 times in total.
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: seniorchristo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:30 pm

Nice looking car. However no need to insult the S4. :)
67 Elan Super Safety
67 Elan +2
seniorchristo
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:44 pm

Sorry and if I had the money I would die for a Sprint DHC.... :mrgreen:
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:09 pm

my car is an airflow s3 and left the factory in december 66, are you sure yours is from 67?
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:16 pm

dgym wrote:my car is an airflow s3 and left the factory in december 66, are you sure yours is from 67?

Sorry just going by the reg details... maybe a very slow build from new, are they registered with DVLA after completion? or on purchase?

I'm away at the moment but will check the v5 on my return

Just had a search on here and yahoo and it seams that the cross over during 66 and 67 was unreliable re chassis numbers etc.... seems possible that older shells may be registered after the airflow shells..

Anyone any comments please?
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: kmoist » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:01 pm

What is the serial numbe?
67 S3 Elan FHC
36/5823 chassis
LP6076 LBA engine
kmoist
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LotusArchives » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:41 pm

gmzez wrote:
dgym wrote:my car is an airflow s3 and left the factory in december 66, are you sure yours is from 67?

Sorry just going by the reg details... maybe a very slow build from new, are they registered with DVLA after completion? or on purchase?

I'm away at the moment but will check the v5 on my return

Just had a search on here and yahoo and it seams that the cross over during 66 and 67 was unreliable re chassis numbers etc.... seems possible that older shells may be registered after the airflow shells..

Anyone any comments please?

The DVLA show your car was registered in May 1967, however as the question is regarding the air flow body, what you guys need to do is look at the body number on your cars, this is a 4 digit number in the bulkhead under the bonnet on the drivers side where the bulk head petrudes into the engine bay. Like many manufacturers, cars were produced for stock so it could have been a older body. The body number differs from the chassis number and like a engine, it is the components unique serial number. If you guys are happy to post your body number and chassis number it would help us compare, or just the body number if you are unhappy about putting your chassis number on a public forum.

Andy
LotusArchives
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Thanks Andy, for all the info.....

Oh well It is what it is and its still for sale.... Its a 67 pre airflow Elan S3......

I will place on Ebay next week if not sold from here!
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: dgym » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:33 pm

thanks andy i'll have a look for that number.
36/6612
1967 S3 Coupe (left the factory in 66)
original rego PPC 8E
original owner B.M. Wetherill ..are you out there?
dgym
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:01 pm

Some additional info from last owner:

*ADDITIONAL NOTES* 20th July:

Prior to my purchase the previous owner had purchased the Elan as a project. It came with the old green "Log Book" and all the numbers matched so the DVLA issued the original Reg Number and a V5.

He then had the engine stripped and worked on by Paul Matty who replaced the oil pump and rebuilt the water pump and front plate. The timing chain was also replaced. Paul stated that "this was one of the better ones"...

All bores and bearings are std sizes and looked good at the time. The Diff was also stripped and inspected by a 'Vintage' gearbox man.

The Chassis was supplied by Spyder Engineering inc tubular front wishbones also from Spyder.

I do have some history (not service) I have the ORIGINAL old green log book! states that chassis is 6843 and engine is LP7606LBA... I have a couple of old Tax discs and about 11 MOT Cert's.....
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Lotus virgin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:59 pm

gmzez wrote:Sorry and if I had the money I would die for a Sprint DHC.... :mrgreen:

Sorry gmzez, and if i had the money i would die for yours :)

GLWTS by the way

Steve
Lotus virgin
New-tral

PostPost by: gmzez » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:00 pm

Thanks Steve,,,Its still for sale....

Had a few visits inc one who didn't like the rollcage, another who didn't believe the wrought iron bar inside /above rear wings was correct.... and lastly one who was worried and concerned that the headlamps Vac system wouldnt work.............

So I refitted the vac hose and up pops the pods at a pull of a switch...lol... Glad I'm not earning a living out of selling cars..
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:43 pm

Hello peeps,, update on the latest "for sale" saga.....

A chap after lots of chatting again only via email.. ended up saying he was advised that the Elan wasn't worth much as it didn't have a Lotus Chassis (Currently fitted with a Spyder) and the interior wasn't Std and was too much work!

What's up with these guys?
Last edited by gmzez on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: el-saturn » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:15 pm

s3 vs s4 wheel arches: it's just a question of taste and a question of WHO (maybe colin???) decided to go for more modern (1970?) arches - W E luv them all alpine sandy ---------------------- hoping for some dry circuit here in the free curves called appenzell
el-saturn
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gmzez » Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Yes all the best on that Swiss....................... :roll:
Rgds Enrico

1967 S3 Elan FHC
gmzez
First Gear
First Gear

Next

Total Online: