S2 Roadster 5-speed For Sale...maybe

PostPost by: DJThom » Mon May 13, 2013 12:27 am

Hi Everyone.

I have begun contemplating selling my fully restored Elan S2 roadster. Car is RHD, location is Niagara, Canada. My motivation is due to having three small children, two of which are boys that enjoy going to shows and vintage racing. I'm thinking it might be a season to change gears into a pre '73 911 to be able to enjoy sportscars and road trips with my kids and pass on the passion to the next generation while they are impressionable. I love the Elan of course, and so this process would be bitter sweet indeed.

Some key features:
- Engine rebuild 2500 miles ago. High compression drop forged pistons, big valves, sprint+ cams (degreed), stainless header (ceramic powder coated)
- Alfa Romeo 105 Series 5-speed transmission with new second gear synchro (original transmission along with parts to convert back included except drive shaft which was modified in the conversion)
- Original rust free chasis. Front cross brace holds vacuum for 45 min plus (that's when i gave up waiting)
- Desirable upgrades include knockoffs, CV joints, rear adjustable height Koni shocks
- All new interior panels, console, seat covers from Famous Frank. Panels have thin foam padding giving a more luxurious feel than standard while appearing OEM
- Body has excellent fit. Door fit about the best I have seen. Older paint completed by previous owner but in excellent condition
-Car has been completely restored with parts too numerous to list from seals to stainless steel brake caliper pistons, and i can give a more comprehensive list to anyone interested.

If there is anyone interested, I can be reached at darren.thom at bayer dot com. I would be interested to hear what the group considers the value to be on this car. I have been looking for some time, but it is rare for an S2 of this build quality to be available for sale.

1.JPG and

2.JPG and
3.JPG and
4.JPG and
5.JPG and
6.JPG and
7.JPG and
8.JPG and
9.JPG and
10.JPG and
'66 Lotus Elan S2 Roadster RHD
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon May 13, 2013 7:10 am

NICE!!!!
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: gordont » Mon May 13, 2013 11:18 am

Come on Mazzini you know you want another one!
Gordon
26/5416
gordont
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Mazzini » Mon May 13, 2013 1:12 pm

I'd love this one but... Hope all is well with you :)
Mazzini
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Fred Talmadge » Mon May 13, 2013 6:58 pm

personally sites like Bring a Trailer and Hemmings along with ebay are good for judging what folks are willing to pay. I'd say the only thing that would discourage me is RHD.
Fred Talmadge
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Tue May 14, 2013 1:34 pm

What is an Alfa Romeo 105 series transmission, and how is it fitted?

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: lotusdaisy » Tue May 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Hi Darren

I have tried your email but it will not accept mine

Interested in buying your car once you have a price and decide to sell

Please contact me on [email protected]
lotusdaisy
New-tral

PostPost by: DJThom » Wed May 15, 2013 12:56 am

David, I will send you an email

Richard (and others wondering about the Alfa Tranny), I picked up the tranny and a front and rear adapter plate from another member on this forum that had lost interest in the project several years back. The adapter to the Ford belhousing is NC cut and a beautiful piece of work.

After a lot of research I picked the Alfa box for my conversion because of its size and similar location of the shift lever. I had to relieve the top flange of the chassis on either side slightly to allow the shift tower to come through. Down below the only thing i had to do was make a small holesaw cut in the chassis where the speedo angle drive comes out for clearance. Hole does not go through fiberglass.

Other things I had to do include: modify driveshaft to incorporate sliding spline, recalibrate speedo, fabricate tranny mount, machine alfa driven disk to fit inside ford clutch mechanism, machine pilot bearing in crank to accept alfa input shaft, new console and shift boot, fabricate and chrome plate shift lever to mimic OE, rebuild tranny with new synchro on second.
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RichardHawkins » Wed May 15, 2013 7:48 pm

David,
Thanks for the explanation, I will continue with my Ford Scorpio MT 75 conversion.

Richard Hawkins
RichardHawkins
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Ross Robbins » Wed May 15, 2013 10:14 pm

DJ,

It seems that you have received everything but what you asked for: Our thoughts on value. Not being shy here is my take.

A clean S2 value is somewhere between $22,000 -$38,000 based on recent sales. At the high end are Peter Egan's car and Sam Smith's car both of which were well known because of the Road & Track articles and Peter's car was pretty close to perfect. On the other end of the range are a couple of eBay cars that had needs or were tired. In other words they would require time and money to get right.

I see your car at the higher end of the range with a plus for the 5 speed and a minus for the RHD. There is a higher value in Great Britain and there the RHD is a plus so you may want to promote it on the UK eBay . It is a lovely car indeed and should fetch north of $35,000 US. Not that the Loony is that different anymore :D

I hope this helps. Good luck with the sale.

One last comment...Proper parenting precludes piloting Porsches :evil: :evil:
Ross Robbins
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Fri May 17, 2013 1:14 am

Thanks Ross for your input. As you say, the UK market is stronger and I have had interest from there. This car was formerly owned by a gentlemen on this forum who also previously owned the white one that sold for $52 late last year (can't find thread now, must have been purposeliy deleted!) and I would put the cars on par with each other, and in fact prefer mine.

I think the market correct price for a car at this level is 33-35 GPB, which translates to roughly 50K. The US may be softer I grant you.

I chum and travel about to events with a group of guys with other British cars, so this change is going to get me in trouble. I still have my MGB to save me from complete excommunication.
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Tahoe » Fri May 17, 2013 3:27 pm

I've now seen 2 replies saying that RHD is a minus. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't see any reasons why it would be. Maybe because I've had 2 RHD Elans and love them. To me it opens up the market. With a RHD you have opened up the market to Japan, UK, Australia, etc. I also see the RHD as a unique feature in North America that sets the car apart from others. Driving a RHD car is easy and not a minus in my book. I actually look at the Alfa trans as more of a minus, but all the hard work is done with it so it's not an issue either. If I were looking for another S1 or S2 right now I would be all over your car. Good luck with the sale.
Tahoe
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Mon May 20, 2013 4:27 am

I have put the car on Ebay for a strong, but I believe fair price for what the car is. I would certainly call it market correct for the UK, and not out of line with recent early car sales of this quality in the US.

Also, I would add that this is not a fishing expedition, but rather a legitimate attempt to move towards something I can enjoy will all my kids simultaneously. Call it an inferior car for a superior purpose.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 1277994889
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 pm

As an addict, I was thrilled to see the car on Bring A Trailer!

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/05/20/imp ... s-elan-s2/

Now I see there is another S2 for sale referencing the recent sale of the white one at $50 for a top sorted example. With the Elites through the roof and the XKEs beyond reach, this remains the best performance option in the British Car world.
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: DJThom » Wed May 22, 2013 12:04 pm

Removed the reserve.

Had the car out the past few days. What an amazing machine. Makes letting it go all the more difficult
DJThom
Second Gear
Second Gear

Next

Total Online: