New To Elans, Advice Welcome

PostPost by: Bulz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 4:19 am

I just got a neglected Elan. Previous owner said its a 1967 S1, but I believe its actually an S3. #36/6892 (not a convertable) Originally yellow, currently blue.

It's at a shop now for analysis of what shape the motor is in.

The body looks good aside from a few rough spots and under the bonnet appears to have been the home of a few rodents. Otherwise, it looks good.

It was brought into the US 20 years ago and was never registered here. It spent most of its life in a garage under a cover.

Its a right hand drive and appears all original. (except paint)

Odometer reads 80000.

Any advice on restoration or registration?
(I've been reading everything I can find in past posts as well.)

Any help appreciated.

Dave in Connecticut
Bulz
New-tral

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:22 am

Welcome to Lotus-World Dave,
You are correct about your car, all S1/2's were convertables and your chassis no. indicates its a S3 FHC.
As regards restoration check out the chassis for rust and cracks around the front uprights and engine mountings but join the mailing list as it contains a great deal of information in its archives. An other tip is to get a fire extinguisher as the wireing on a 30 year old Lotus is suspect, when the burn they go really well!
Cant help with registration as I'm U.K. based.
Good Luck Brian.
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: worzel » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:18 pm

Brian

Kiss your social life goodbye!

John- but good luck
worzel
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Jon Eckman » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:27 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm in CT also, and have an S3 #36/5599. What shop did you bring yours to?

Jon Eckman
Jon Eckman
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Bulz » Thu Jun 17, 2004 2:05 pm

OK, rust, cracks, fire extinguisher, mailing list...thats an easy enough start. :D

Jon- I just trailered it to a friend who owns a service station. He is going to check the motor for basics. (compression test, etc.)

Anyone else have trouble getting into an Elan? :P
Bulz
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:55 pm

Acquiring a title is different state to state. Talk with the BMV in Connecticut and ask them what is needed. Some documentation of ownership will be required. There are numerous books that are helpful, including Lotus Elan A Restoration Guide. Shop manuals are on ebay frequently. Good Luck, they're great cars and I believe it may enhance your social life !
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bronco » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:43 am

Welcome to the great and often oily world of Lotus ownership.
You could find out more information about your car, if you are interested, by writing to the DVLA (Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency) in Swansea, England.

<a href='http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/relinfo.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/relinfo.htm</a>

This URL takes you to a DVLA page that tells you how to request info about the previous owners of your car.
You could find out exactly when it was exported, what colour it was when each owner registered it and other things too. It will cost you ?5.00.

I tracked down the history of my car by doing this about 15 years ago. I was sent copies of the original registration documents, what we call a 'V5' document. I don't know what they send you now.

Good luck!

Bronco
bronco
New-tral

Total Online: