May Sell S1

PostPost by: admarti » Thu May 20, 2004 5:42 pm

Can anybody give me an idea of how much my Elan S1 convertable is worth.
I understand that the Japanese go mad for them and that they will pay well for a good example of one.

I have had the vehicle for 16 years and have totally rebuilt it to a very high standard including new chassis, carbs (twin 40 webers) running gear, interior...High quality body repair and respray in old english white, it's original colour. I even have 6 perfect Elan hub caps and three not so good.

I have all it's history from when the car was 6 years old. The car has been roadworthy for about 2 years and I have travelled approximately 280 miles; the odometer is now reading a verified and true 66,000 miles.

We have umpteen magazines, books, workshop manuals of the Elan and have visited several shows and have yet to see another S1 in all the years that we have owned the vehicle.

As guide prices go they tend to class the S1 with the S2 and S3, I believe this is wrong as the S1 is as rare as "hen's teeth". I feel that I am a bit of an expert on the S1, so are there any others out there who can offer sound advice.
Kind regards

Admarti.
admarti
New-tral

PostPost by: brandon » Thu May 20, 2004 6:51 pm

Admarti. I've just purchaced an S1 for restoration, but it's a bit of a basket case so I don't think I can help you on the price. I did notice in your post though that you have a plethora of hubcaps. At the moment my car only has 3 actual lotus hubcaps (with the lotus insigna stamped in them) and 2 non-lotus hubcaps (not an insignia in site). As 9 is an awfully uneven number of hubcaps to have...perhaps you might consider selling one to me? I'll email you off line just in case I can convince you.

Brandon
brandon
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: axis77a » Thu May 20, 2004 9:34 pm

Sounds Interesting - where in the UK are you based ?
Mark
Add Lightness
axis77a
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Thu May 20, 2004 9:54 pm

Ultimately it's worth what you'd be willing to sell it for. S1's seem to run parallel to S4's in the condition/price race. I believe you can use a comparable S4 as a guide and those are for sale frequently. Body repair and respray must be entered into the equation as there are numerous totally original specimens out there.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: elj221c » Fri May 21, 2004 7:51 am

Oh, NO!

Not another of our cars going to Japan?!

Roy,
'65 S2
Roy
'65 S2
elj221c
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Bill » Sat May 22, 2004 3:16 am

Admarti

I bought my S1 1600 (#26/0538) new, have origional factory invoice from Dec. 63 and full history / documentation since purchase, I would sure like to get an idea of value as well - other than Classic and Sports Cars 16k Pnds over the last 3 years.

Bill
Bill Rathlef
Vancouver Island, Canada
"Keep your stick on the ice, boys."
Bill
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: nebogipfel » Sat May 22, 2004 1:31 pm

Admarti

Gotta agree with Roy Don't let it go for export!

As to value you really have to decide what the price is that you would be prepared to sell it. i.e. the price you would not hesitate to sell at

If you can find a buyer at that price then you are laughing :D

Although S1's are rare I suspect condition is the major factor in how much your car or any Elan will realise.

Good Luck ........ assuming you really want to sell it!
John

No longer active on here, I value my privacy.
nebogipfel
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: JKING » Sat May 22, 2004 6:08 pm

Hi - I'm new here. I have a 1964, right hand drive S1, #148, which I bought slightly used in '64 from Prince William of Gloucester (may not have spelled that right), who was attending Stanford University in California at the time and had it imported then. I have had a lot of fun and trials with it over the last 40 years and think that it's time to sell. So I too am interested in what it might be worth. It's in pretty good, but not exactly pristine, shape.
John - '64 S1
John
63 Elan 260146
JKING
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus1422 » Sat May 22, 2004 7:58 pm

Gentlemen (& Ladies)
I'm in Australia and take exception :angry: to the statement that you should not sell your cars overseas. We have had our historic race and road cars stripped off us for years by you guys in Europe and I try to redress the balance. The Japs at least treasure the cars they buy and I'll bet you did not know that the boss of Honda has and loves his early Lotus Elite!! He told me so personally!
I have brought into this country, a Lotus 22, 2 Lotus (early) Elites, Ginetta G15, A Brabham BT21 now all enjoying our race or rally circuits driven by me or my friends. An Elan is next so watch out!!!
Just to ally your fears I have WUU2, the Lumsden / Riley Lemans car here for restoration and have restored several Elites, one of which I race together with the ex Siffert 22 (Brussels GP car) which I love!

Seriously, anyone wanting their Elan to go to a Lotus home where it will be loved and probably rallied and driven in a spirited fashion, as they deserve, let me know ASAP. I have a container waiting. Nobody here wants to part with their Elan!
[email protected]
Lotus1422
New-tral

PostPost by: 1964 S1 » Wed May 26, 2004 3:39 am

As I tip toe through replies to the question, what is one Lotus Elan S1 worth, I realize from LHD land that island thinking is alive and well and I say Thank Goodness! It's good that Colin Chapman understood the One World Thing, Lotus would never have survived without RHD AND LHD and we would be left sharing thoughts on some lesser fun car on a web page where people don't care about where the cars are driven. I would take International interest as a compliment, it sounds like it's time to start building more cars !

SOAPBOX REMOVED

I think a repaired/repainted S1 in excellent condition that needs to be driven is worth around $15,000 U.S. Others may have more of a yen for the car but as I said, ultimately, the seller chooses the price.

Hello Lotus 1422, I have a very quick LHD 1969 S4 with Webers I'd part with, please contact me if you're interested in purchase.
1964 S1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: sk178ta » Thu May 27, 2004 5:00 pm

There was an immaculate S1 sold at H&H auction a few months ago. It fetched more than I thought but I forget what. www.classic-auctions .co.uk has previous results or you can ring them.
Jim
sk178ta
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Lotus1422 » Thu May 27, 2004 7:25 pm

:D
Thanks to all who replied offering advice and cars. I have found a nice S4 SE drop head that has had a lot of love and money spent on her for the last 18 years and bought her for export back to Australia.
I asked the owner if it was OK to export it and his reaction was interesting. Yes please it would be too hard to bear possibly seeing it here again, and not own her! He obviously loved the car.
Good luck and thanks again.
Bruce Mansell
Lotus Elite, Elan, and 22 Junior.
Lotus1422
New-tral

PostPost by: simonknee » Fri May 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Hmmm, the japanese love cars just as much as we do (they made the mx5 after all). And judging by the recent "what else do you have in your garage" thread on the yahoo list plenty of you do too! Not sure I agree with the "don't export" sentiment. (plus I don't know but if you guys are in the US then there's a case of pots calling the kettle black here)
Simon
'67 S3 FHC 36/7002
'69 +2 50/1370 (stolen '00)
simonknee
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

Total Online: