garage paint job my end results

PostPost by: Sadbrewer » Tue Jan 31, 2023 11:34 pm

EPC 394J wrote:
What are the recesses in the area above the tips of the rear bumpers? I haven't seen them before.

Indicators for the US (Federal) market would be my guess?

Looks like where sthe 'SE' badge would go....don't know if it was recessed though....although on second thoughts probably not.
Sadbrewer
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: evanlotus » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:25 am

20230123_153839.jpg and
the holes are for the rear parking lights
Attachments
20230127_154159.jpg and
evanlotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: evanlotus » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:28 am

20230123_153814.jpg and
20230123_153814.jpg and
Attachments
20230119_160406.jpg and
evanlotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: evanlotus » Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:33 am

20230127_154144.jpg and
20230127_154144.jpg and
20230127_154144.jpg and
Attachments
20230126_115802.jpg and
evanlotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:35 am

berni29 wrote:In my opinion, especially here in the UK the hard part at home is temperature and dust control. Also having the room to move around the car.

I have seen inflatable spray booths for hire. That could possibly be a way forwards for that part of the equation.

Berni

In my misspent youth, I regularly sprayed cars in the open on the driveway, the occasional bug that landed on the wet paint was all part of the experience. With cellulose paint, flatting and polishing after spraying was part of the process, covered up a multitude of sins, and generally yielded excellent results.

I had planned to move with the times and spray my Sprint with Isocyanate 2-pack, but I got scared off by the health issues.

https://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg388.pdf

Am I being too cautious here, or are the risks as severe as these publications indicate?

Thanks.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ill_will » Wed Feb 01, 2023 8:39 am

Thanks Evan. I haven't seen parking lights on the side of a car before - so they shine sideways? Do you (or anyone else) have a photo by any chance?
ill_will
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: gjz30075 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 9:28 am

Definitely side markers for Federal (US) cars. Here's my Sprint. It's both a light and reflector.
Attachments
DSC08002.JPG and
Greg Z
45/0243K Sprint
45/7286 S3 SE DHC
gjz30075
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: berni29 » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:42 pm

Andy8421 wrote:
berni29 wrote:In my opinion, especially here in the UK the hard part at home is temperature and dust control. Also having the room to move around the car.

I have seen inflatable spray booths for hire. That could possibly be a way forwards for that part of the equation.

Berni

In my misspent youth, I regularly sprayed cars in the open on the driveway, the occasional bug that landed on the wet paint was all part of the experience. With cellulose paint, flatting and polishing after spraying was part of the process, covered up a multitude of sins, and generally yielded excellent results.

I had planned to move with the times and spray my Sprint with Isocyanate 2-pack, but I got scared off by the health issues.

Hi Andy

I looked into this and spoke to some paint spraying folk. Most use some sort of air fed face mask and disposable paper hazmat suit, though some filters are available that would work. You can buy an air fed facemask off of ebay, and they do actually work really well, but you need enough compressed air to run that and the gun comfortably.

The health risks are real, but easily mitigated with the right equipment.

Berni

Am I being too cautious here, or are the risks as severe as these publications indicate?

Thanks.
Zetec+ 2 under const, also 130S. And another 130S for complete restoration. Previously Racing green +2s with green tints. Yellow +2 and a couple of others, all missed. Great to be back 04/11/2021 although its all starting to get a bit out of control.
berni29
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Feb 01, 2023 3:59 pm

Well done you've made a very nice job.
I wondered why you put those leather straps to hold the bonnet closed. Did you have problems with the original setup.
Personal taste i suppose.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: evanlotus » Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:27 pm

thanks its just a home paint job used lotsm of ppe and a great hvlp gun. Protect yoursel paint sucks in your lungs. I put the hood straps on because i did not have the hood latches and it is somthing diffrent and at 20 pounds plus shipping it was a good solution. I know its a 1930s to early 1950s look but it does look kinda cool
evanlotus
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: steve lyle » Thu Feb 02, 2023 6:49 am

Andy8421 wrote:I had planned to move with the times and spray my Sprint with Isocyanate 2-pack, but I got scared off by the health issues.

Thanks.

For most of us hobbyists, we can use isocyanate paint safely with some basic protections. I say most of us, because it is true that sensitivity varies by individual. Some people are actually allergic to the chemicals in paint, and people can become more sensitive with increased exposure. This is usually more of a problem for people that are continuously or frequently exposed, such as professional car painters (although the ones I've met have seemed to be amazingly casual about their protection which I've always thought was weird).

In any event, you can limit the skin exposure by wearing a paint suit and full mask to protect the eyes. Not a big deal or expense.. Then just do something to protect your lungs..

You have two choices for lung protection - a supplied-air system, or a cartridge filter respirator. Supplied-air is the gold standard, but of course costs more. Most of us who've painted with isocyanates at home a few time in a lifetime use a cartridge respirator. A 3M 6001 cartridge will protect your lungs from isocyanates for a limited period of time. I've read 40 hours, I've read 8. I change mine out at the 8 hour point at most. Between uses, store your cartridges in a sealed plastic bag - the 8 hours is the 'airi exposure' time.

One warning you hear about using a cartridge respirator for isocyantes is that, since isocyanates have no odor, you can't rely on your sense of smell to tell you if the cartridge is still effective, or if you have the mask on correctly. While technically this is true, for paint we have the 'benefit' that there are plenty of other substances in the paint that (are also dangerous and) do have a very distinctive odor. So if you have a mask on, and smell any 'paint smell', you know you've got a problem - either your cartridge is past it's expiration, or you have a leak.
Steve Lyle
1972 Elan Sprint 0248k @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-Lot ... 48K.30245/
1972 MGB Roadster @ https://www.mgexp.com/registry/1972-MG- ... 842G.4498/
2007 BMW 335i Coupe
steve lyle
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: UAB807F » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:21 am

I'd go along with that ^^

The last time I did my car I used cellulose but that wasn't because of health risks, it was because I wanted the old fashioned look on the car. But everywhere else, inside the doors, inside the boot lid, etc, I used satin 2 pack.

I used a filter mask and the comment about "not smelling anything at all" is a good one. It's a personal thing but I'd prefer that to a DIY air fed mask arrangement, I'd be concerned about stripping out oil, etc, from the compressed air.
A pro setup is fine, they're maintained & presumably monitored but I wouldn't be confident I'd be doing it right based on my experience with water traps.

Providing you don't do anything silly, such as painting the car in a closed garage and then sitting to watch it dry, you'll be ok. Spray a section, go outside and let the fumes clear before going back. Buy a filter and only expose it for actual spray/mixing times and I find a single filter does the complete job. 8hrs of constant spraying is a lot of paint !

Brian
UAB807F
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Fri Feb 03, 2023 7:27 am

Steve and Brian,

Thank you both for the detailed replies. I will have another look at the logistics of doing this DIY.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: