Lotus Elan

1966 Elan S2

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Mon Jan 02, 2023 10:16 pm

Emma-Knight wrote:With the wiring loom, I would carefully try to get it out in one piece.


I’m afraid on further inspection the wiring harness has already been butchered!

Its an additional $600-700 to buy a new one, which isn’t welcome, but I can have a few customizations made, alternator, negative earth etc, and the peace of mind of a reliable electrical system.

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:05 am

Ian,

Good call to replace the harness. Mine spent most of its life garaged. When we removed the dash, much of the insulation on the wiring was turning to powder after 50+ years.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:40 am

There are very few things on these cars that will keep them reliable, a good fuel system and a good electrical system. Both are also high on the safety list. The last thing I want is to see all my hard work going up in smoke!

There are several companies that make high quality harnesses and with the ability to have a few customizations incorporated in the factory build, the damage to my otherwise good condition harness, it was an easy decision to make.

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:55 am

Today I was able to clean the back end and trunk of the car today, hopefully the garage will smell better now!

There appears to have been some significant damage to the trunk floor and the repairs not too clever!
EBDBFD69-A7C2-477A-9245-7E09F4175B05.jpeg and

D3754EE3-BC08-41E3-94DA-B926BCF3AA86.jpeg and

F7B9815F-2447-49E7-9E61-1AAC4C0EC990.jpeg and

I know that I’m going to have to investigate these repairs and correct them, but I think I need to see what the outside surface looks like once the paint etc is removed.

As I was pressure washing inside the trunk it occurred to me that the trunk really is a black hole. We’re they painted black inside from the factory?

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: StressCraxx » Tue Jan 03, 2023 4:02 am

Ianashdown wrote:Today I was able to clean the back end and trunk of the car today, hopefully the garage will smell better now!

There appears to have been some significant damage to the trunk floor and the repairs not too clever!
EBDBFD69-A7C2-477A-9245-7E09F4175B05.jpeg

D3754EE3-BC08-41E3-94DA-B926BCF3AA86.jpeg

F7B9815F-2447-49E7-9E61-1AAC4C0EC990.jpeg

I know that I’m going to have to investigate these repairs and correct them, but I think I need to see what the outside surface looks like once the paint etc is removed.

As I was pressure washing inside the trunk it occurred to me that the trunk really is a black hole. We’re they painted black inside from the factory?

Ian


Looks like two or more repairs. One may have been the silencer/muffler bottoming out or getting hit to break the spare tire side along with the tunnel and mount for the tailpipe. Not as bad as the bodges I found in my boot. At least they didn't try to fill all of it with bondo.... It took me two days to grind it all out when I found the damage after I pulled the leaking fuel tank.
There is no cure for Lotus, only treatment.
User avatar
StressCraxx
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1318
Joined: 26 Sep 2003
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, California

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:12 am

It could be much worse!

I want to see what it looks like from the other side before deciding what’s the best plan of action!

Either way I see an itchy future!

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: Andy8421 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 am

Ianashdown wrote:There are very few things on these cars that will keep them reliable, a good fuel system and a good electrical system. Both are also high on the safety list. The last thing I want is to see all my hard work going up in smoke!

There are several companies that make high quality harnesses and with the ability to have a few customizations incorporated in the factory build, the damage to my otherwise good condition harness, it was an easy decision to make.

Ian

Ian,

A wise choice. Irrespective of the butchering, the wiring harness in the engine area will be shot. The heat will have hardened the insulation, which will have cracked, and water will be leaching along the wires corroding the conductors. The connectors (particularly in the nose) will be corroded, often beyond usable repair.

The wiring was never designed to last 50+ years. Replacing the harness should be high on the list of every restoration.

As for the fuel system, I would stay away from the braided hose replacements for the 'Y' pipe between the fuel pump and carbs. A number of us on here have had these fail, and it is impossible to inspect the rubber. Proper R9 (ethanol resistant) hose is available, and IMO, better to build your own 'Y' with known good pipe.

Thanks for the regular updates, very interesting to see your progress.

Andy.
68 Elan S3 HSCC Roadsports spec
71 Elan Sprint (being restored)
32 Standard 12
Various modern stuff
Andy8421
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear
 
Posts: 974
Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Location: Surrey, UK

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:00 am

Braided hose in its self is no guarantee of anything! I have braided hose on my toilet! Beside it would be out of place for this restoration, which I want to be a near original as possible.

I’m very fortunate to have all manner of suppliers close by so I feel I should be able to find the correct parts, pieces and materials.

Lotus have a reputation for catching on fire and I’m really not sure if there is and underlying reason, I don’t see anything inherently wrong, but I will be taking all the precautions possible. I’ve even thought about having an onboard fire system like we would do on any race car; I think I could hide it away sufficiently.

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: gentry74 » Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:25 pm

Ianashdown wrote:Lotus have a reputation for catching on fire and I’m really not sure if there is and underlying reason, I don’t see anything inherently wrong, but I will be taking all the precautions possible. I’ve even thought about having an onboard fire system like we would do on any race car; I think I could hide it away sufficiently.
Ian


The coil is right under the carbs. Any fuel sweating//beading/leaking/spewing out and it has a nice handy place to ignite waiting for it underneath....
GD
67 s3 dhc
User avatar
gentry74
First Gear
First Gear
 
Posts: 35
Joined: 11 Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

PostPost by: billwill » Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:02 pm

Ianashdown wrote:Does such a thing as an S2 Parts Manual Exist?

Mine is dated 1970 so definitely not S2!

Ian



Look in the Wiki on this actual website.

Yes the Wiki is marked unfinished but the parts manuals portion seems to work OK.
Bill Williams

36/6725 S3 Coupe OGU108E Yellow over Black.
billwill
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 5038
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Location: London UK

PostPost by: types26/36 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:19 pm

Ianashdown wrote:Does such a thing as an S2 Parts Manual Exist?
Mine is dated 1970 so definitely not S2! Ian


Yes there is an early parts manual that covers S1 & S2 cars, pm me your email and I will try to send a pdf if it is not to large.
There is also an early workshop manual but I only have the manual and no pdf, they occasionally come up on ebay, it can be identified by its green cover, here are a couple of pics of it.
Attachments
20230105_164756.jpg and
20230105_164727.jpg and
20230105_164653.jpg and
Brian
64 S2 Roadster
72 Sprint FHC
User avatar
types26/36
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 3715
Joined: 11 Sep 2003
Location: U.K.

PostPost by: 661 » Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:45 pm

ajwheels wrote:
Ianashdown wrote:Is this what is known as a painted nose badge?

F65F9BB5-4BBA-4EB8-9904-EE4499A78950.jpeg


Has a nice patina!

So . . Restore or use as is?

Ian


I'd use the badge as is.....imagine the rest of the car nicely restored, and then this badge as a link back; a bit of the history retained as found.....but hey, that's just me.....

^^^^ Totally agree. That is a very early badge
Graeme
S4 SE
S2 GTS
Caterham 420R
Sold - Peterson JPS Exige
User avatar
661
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: 29 Mar 2012
Location: East Sussex

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:24 pm

661 wrote:
ajwheels wrote:
Ianashdown wrote:Is this what is known as a painted nose badge?

F65F9BB5-4BBA-4EB8-9904-EE4499A78950.jpeg


Has a nice patina!

So . . Restore or use as is?

Ian


I'd use the badge as is.....imagine the rest of the car nicely restored, and then this badge as a link back; a bit of the history retained as found.....but hey, that's just me.....

^^^^ Totally agree. That is a very early badge


Earlier than the car (July ‘65 build) do you think?

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA

PostPost by: ajwheels » Thu Jan 05, 2023 8:53 pm

A bit of badge info.....

Nose Badges by Mike Causer.pdf
(427.48 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
1966 S3 DHC
45/6261
User avatar
ajwheels
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 56
Joined: 06 Feb 2020
Location: San Diego, CA

PostPost by: Ianashdown » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:05 am

ajwheels wrote:A bit of badge info.....

Nose Badges by Mike Causer.pdf


Very interesting!

I’ll measure mine tonight, but visually I’d say it is the original design. If that is the case, it pre-dates the car.

Ian
Ianashdown
Second Gear
Second Gear
 
Posts: 166
Joined: 14 Oct 2022
Location: Orange County, USA
PreviousNext

Total Online:

Users browsing this forum: evanlotus and 13 guests