Importing Lotus Elan S2 from sweden

PostPost by: Jez900 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:24 pm

Hi guys,

I wonder if anybody can help me.

I’m going to Sweden to pick up a 1965 elan in October, I have heard nightmares about vehicles being impounded at the port due to incorrect paperwork for import.

I need to make sure I have everything in order.
As far as I know I just need a filled out C384 with me to show at customs.

I’ve read a bit on the gov website, and on forums, but I’m still not exactly sure what I need to have in order to ensure a seamless journey back.

I’m hiring the trailer so would be a nightmare if I don’t get through.

If anyone has some pointers/experience or could tell me what I need I would be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance,
Jeremy
Jez900
New-tral

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 8:04 pm

Hopefully useful:

https://www.tradeclassics.com/how-do-i- ... to-the-uk/

Do let us know how you get on?
Steve

Silence is Golden; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jez900 » Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:13 pm

Thanks for the reply, it seems there is no finite answer but the link was helpful.

I will keep searching a bit more to see what I can find.

Kind regards,
Jeremy
Jez900
New-tral

PostPost by: HCA » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:47 am

Since you guys decided to jump ship from the largest free trade group in history, things have become progressively harder for you in this area.

Yes, the customs duty and VAT is the first issue where you will need spot on documentation to include the full history of the car. It is the customs people who will decide the duty applicable. VATis straight forward: 10 - 20% of the value. It might be worth getting your sales receipt notarised as I have heard of issues regarding authenticity, but I think this is more confined to new high value cars coming in at ridiculous purchase prices..eg 'honest guv, I bought this two year old Ferrari from a chap in a souk for 500 quid...'

Then there is registration with DVLA. Make sure the car is totally standard and will stand up to scrutiny.

Finally, is it LHD? Could be issues with insurance. The UK insurance chappies for some reason have a hate on LHD.

My advice? Get an agent with such experience involved. Much better and safer.
Last edited by HCA on Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:36 am

I think that must be the Grey Elan.
I thought things were supposed to get better now the UK are in control of their destiny and not Brussels.
It was soo easy before Brexit and BoJo.
The Gbp is just about to take a dive against the Euro.
Good luck you'll need it.
Sorry about my moan but Brexit winds me up.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: mbell » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:46 pm

I think thee are two paperwork things to deal with when importing a car:
1) Import duties
2) Registering the vehicle with the DVLA.

What needs to be done varies a little based on the specifics of the vechile.

Import duties can be removed/reduced if the car is classic or was originally sold in the UK and it is being re-imported.

For DVLA if it was a UK and wasn't marked as exported you might get away with using V62. Otherwise you need to file V55, which require MOT and Insurance proof first.

TBH just paying a company to sort it for you is probably worth it...

Maybe worth reading:
https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/how- ... to-the-uk/
'73 +2 130/5 RHD, now on the road and very slowly rolling though a "restoration"
mbell
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Jez900 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:19 pm

Thank you for the info.

Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jeremy
Jez900
New-tral

PostPost by: Slowtus » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:24 pm

Jez900 wrote:Thank you for the info.

Much appreciated.
Cheers,
Jeremy

Regardless of the good advice so far YOU need to contact ALL of the various authorities related to importing to get 100% correct information.
Slowtus
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: alan.barker » Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:52 am

I hope the car is cheap because with customs + Ferry + expenses you can increase the cost by 30% easily.
I've given up importing cars from UK to France since Brexit.
For spares you end up with around 40% increase. I've got lots of examples and figures to prove it. Also it's not just France before someone chimes in it's a French thing.
Alan
Alan.b Brittany 1972 elan sprint fhc Lagoon Blue 0460E
alan.barker
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: 69S4 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:29 am

I suspect I'm about to feel your pain as I'm in a similar (albeit slightly cheaper) position. There's a folder of paperwork in front of me at the moment for a similar age (1970) US motorcycle that I need to re-register in the UK. It was shipped in early last month by the American owner who used for a day in the UK before heading off to France and Spain on it for a month. He then rode it back to the UK a couple of weeks ago and 'sold' it to me before returning to the US. My task is to make it legal in the UK before putting it up for sale. Quite how I go about that I've no idea.
Stuart Holding
Thame UK / Alpe D'Huez France
69 S4 FHC
Honda GoldWing 1800
Honda CBX1000
Kawasaki H1 500
Yamaha XS2
69S4
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:07 am

You need not feel any pain at all if you go about it properly. In my book, this means using an import agency. These agencies are doing this day in and day out, so I cannot understand doing it any other way!

The WTO rules are quite clear, until you have people putting different interpretations on things.

For your bike, it is over 30 years of age. Providing it is still in total original condition, same chassis etc and you have ALL the paperwork to prove this, paperwork to prove that all duties were paid back in 1970, then there is no duty and 5% VAT. Good luck on getting this through first time on your own though! Hence the need for a good agency.

The bit that sticks out though is 'sold' it to me before returning to the US. What exactly is the 'sold'? If it is a handshake sort of deal, HMRC will not accept this and will bring in an expert to place a value on the machine. If HMRC do not accept any of the other papers, then the same applies

Once allowed in by HMRC, then you have the hurdle called DVLA who might want all sorts of things. Note that if DVLA do not accept the bike is classic, then you need an IVA where it must meet modern emissions... (I had this problem trying to bring in a 1989 Evante without a CoC. I could not risk a 1989 Zetec engine meeting today's emissions and the cost of ensuring it would, so gave up on the idea. Pity as it was a tidy car and even with the import duties, worthwhile.)
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 am

Maybe worth reading:
https://www.hagerty.co.uk/articles/how- ... to-the-uk/[/quote]

Anyone (see opening photo) who ships a Gullwing with the doors open like that deserves shooting!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: HCA » Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:35 am

alan.barker wrote:I hope the car is cheap because with customs + Ferry + expenses you can increase the cost by 30% easily.
I've given up importing cars from UK to France since Brexit.
For spares you end up with around 40% increase. I've got lots of examples and figures to prove it. Also it's not just France before someone chimes in it's a French thing.
Alan

Bringing in used cars where you cannot claim the original VAT back has become financially onerous - especially if you might want to sell them back in later years.

Spare parts - assuming run of the mill things - should not have hit you that much though. The WTO rules are quite clear - 3% for our type of car. (Be thankful the Elan is not a Tank, then duty is 5-7%)

I did have recently a case where a seller in brexitland refused to take off VAT, so that I had no option but pay the duty plus French TVA. Cases such as this, yes it could well end up near a 40% increase.

I have learnt to live with duty now. Each time I have to pay it, I just think of, and smile at, the brexit voter who is paying £1.78 per litre Petrol against my 63 cents Ethanol, the price of their so called fresh food from Spain and the need to carry out a financial risk assessment each time they turn on a light switch! :shock:

What I cannot live with is the excuse that brexit gave the DHLs of this world to make an arbitary charge to collect duties and TVA... :evil: Yesterday I had to pay DHL 117€ duty on a new TC Head, plus 48€ admin charge to collect the duty!
Hal Adams
Evora S
Elan +2
HCA
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:11 am

DHL is a German company!! D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: bast0n » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:13 am

For interest today - Fuel prices in France are lower than in the UK at the moment. The amount you pay there is around 19p per litre cheaper. D
David
bast0n
Third Gear
Third Gear

Next

Total Online: