Carpet Trim Around Doors

PostPost by: Temmck » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:35 pm

I'm not sure what the large "U" shaped paper board trim pieces are called that are carpeted and go around the door openings to hide the metal lattice work. But, whatever they are called, do they go inside or outside of the tabs that are welded on the lattice work?
These tabs have a single hole in each. Can I assume that there is a screw that holds the trim board to these tabs?
Attachments
InkedInterior_LI.jpg and
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:07 pm

Yes that is right on the outside, you will probably have to drill new holes if you are replacing the boards.
I used a 1inch wide strip of masking tape stuck on the tab, taken down and out along the floor to mark the position when board is in place.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Temmck » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:48 pm

Just so that I have it right, the trim board is inboard of the tabs meaning that the screw will go through the trim board first then into the metal tab. Is this correct? There appears to be enough space for the trim board to go outboard of the tabs but, then again I don't have carpet on my new boards yet.
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 12:46 am

That's right, the screw goes through the carpet, which is glued to the board, and then into the tabs. If you can find them, use black flanged-head screws. Black because they will blend in with the carpet, and a flanged head means you won't need a washer under the screw head.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:03 am

Temmck wrote:I'm not sure what the large "U" shaped paper board trim pieces are called that are carpeted and go around the door openings to hide the metal lattice work....

Usually called "Side boards" or Interior carpet boards,I have attached Sue Miller's installation instructions, I hope she doesn't mind:
SueMiller_InteriorBoardCarpetingInstructions.pdf
(430.82 KiB) Downloaded 155 times

Sue's replacements are GRP & yes you can roll them up & take them as hand baggage on flights :roll:
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: