Lotus Elan

Fuel Flowing out Carb when running

PostPost by: Temmck » Sat Sep 10, 2022 4:30 am

The S4 was running a little rough the other day. When I pulled the car into the garage and opened the hood (with engine running) I saw fuel flowing out of the front Stromberg carburetor. These are recently rebuilt carbs with kits from RD. Assuming one of the common causes of sticking float valve or floats taking on fuel, I disassembled the carburetor. I did not find either condition but I did notice that the new floats have a ridge around the belt line. This ridge was getting hung up on the new gasket which protrudes slightly into the float bowl, not a lot but enough to catch the lip of the float and keep the float valve open. Trimming the gasket facing the sides and front of the floats resolved the problem.
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:08 pm

Good spot before the car burnt out!

Hope you have some decent sized extinguishers to hand.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Temmck » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:47 pm

I am very sensitive to any changes in behavior since the car is still in shake down mode for being off the road for over 30 years. I am currently running it without the air box and open the hood and check under the car after ever drive to inspect for anything unusual. But I am considering adding a deflector shield (not the Star Trek type) under the carbs so than any leaking doesn't drip on the coil.
Temmck
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: USA64 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 2:58 pm

Nice work! My car came off the road in 87 for just that issue. It's still off. I will check that for sure! :D
We are supposed to be having fun, are we not?
USA64
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: elanfan1 » Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:29 pm

Temmck wrote:I am very sensitive to any changes in behavior since the car is still in shake down mode for being off the road for over 30 years. I am currently running it without the air box and open the hood and check under the car after ever drive to inspect for anything unusual. But I am considering adding a deflector shield (not the Star Trek type) under the carbs so than any leaking doesn't drip on the coil.

Unsure if that would have much benefit as it would be the vapour that would ignite.
Steve

Silence is Guildern; Duct Tape is Silver
elanfan1
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: The Veg » Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:27 am

The Star Trek type would be a most excellent idea though to protect against morons piloting larger vehicles. :mrgreen:
1969/70 Elan Plus 2 (not S) 50/2036
"It just wouldn't be a complete day if I didn't forget something!" -Me
The Veg
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Total Online: