Elan S4 Dash Harness

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:09 pm

I bought a new harness for my S4 Elan from a well-known manufacturer.
I started with sorting out all the connections on the dashboard.
All the cables line up with the switches and instrumentation apart from the 3 wires needed to connect to the Heater Motor switch. (I have it labelled as Fan switch)
The Green/Yellow & one of the Green wires are there but about 14" away from where it should be.
I am not an electrical engineer, and this is my first attempt, so I might be doing something wrong, but everything else fits as I expected. On the attached photo I have circled where the cables are and an arrow showing the switch they need to connect to.
I have been in contact with the manufacturer and sent loads of pictures and, despite clearly seeing that the wires are in the wrong place,(I think) says that the loom was made correctly to the pattern.
I am asking if anyone on the forum has experience of something similar.

Dash 2.jpg and
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:47 pm

If it's anything like my S4 your heater motor should have a Green/Yellow, a Green and a White hardwired into it. The GY and the G connect directly to the switch (i.e. they're not actually in the harness), and the W is the earth (why didn't they use black?). The W should have a ring terminal which goes to one of the tunnel bobbin bolts. There should still be another Green on the harness, somewhere close to the switch. This is the power feed to the switch. It's confusing that the motor also has a Green wire.
Is the GY that you can see actually a Light Green/Yellow? If it's 14" away that puts it in the right place for the hazard warning lamp.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:25 pm

Mike
Thanks for your advice.
There is a Green cable close to the switch but has a bullet connector termination. If I replace that with a female spade connector I can use that as the feed to the switch. I then need to make up a Green and Green/Yellow cable to connect from the switch outputs to the Heater Motor cables.
The motor does have a White ground cable.
Sounds like a plan.
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: smo17003 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 6:51 pm

If you haven't already done so test the motor. The GY should be the slow speed and the G should be the full speed. Then test the switch terminals so that when connected you have off/slow/fast (unless you prefer off/fast/slow :D ).
Now is also the time to put a drop of oil on the motor's bearing - you will notice the difference in noise level.

Mike
Mike
1967 S3 FHC
1968 S4 FHC
smo17003
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:39 pm

Mike
I had the motor refurbished a little while ago.
I used the switch diagram from Gordon Lund's book and tested the switch outputs to ensure the GY output came on first (slow speed as you say).
I will put some oil to the bearings before it is fixed to the car - good call.
Al
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: fatboyoz » Fri Sep 09, 2022 5:20 am

Hi Al,
If there is a green wire emerging from the harness near the heater fan switch, this the feed for the fan and for some other services. As per the wiring diagram this should emerge from the harness with a bullet connector that fits into a four way connector. From the connector, it feeds the heater fan, windscreen washer and heated rear screen (coupe). All wires green. The four way connector is probably there somewhere hanging off another green wire.
I have attached a photo of my harness. Below and to the left of the back of the ashtray, you can see the four way connector. The wire to the left goes to the screen wash (no feed to the heated screen). The other two to the right are: feed from the harness and feed to the heater fan.
Elan%20Dashboard%20Wiring.jpg
Elan%20Dashboard%20Wiring.jpg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 452 times

Cheers,
Colin.

RAJ2628 wrote:Mike
Thanks for your advice.
There is a Green cable close to the switch but has a bullet connector termination. If I replace that with a female spade connector I can use that as the feed to the switch. I then need to make up a Green and Green/Yellow cable to connect from the switch outputs to the Heater Motor cables.
The motor does have a White ground cable.
Sounds like a plan.
'68 S4 DHC
fatboyoz
Fourth Gear
Fourth Gear

PostPost by: RAJ2628 » Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:16 am

Mike - correction the green wire has a spade termination.
Al
RAJ2628
Second Gear
Second Gear

Total Online: