“hear, hear!”
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:36 am

Hello,
Elans are to be enjoyed for the driving they should not be treated as museum pieces and in any case there is no such thing as an "original" Elan as every car had subtle variations due to their hand built penny pinching construction nature. This whole numbers matching originality stuff is best left to others to worry about while we actually just enjoy our Elans for what they are.

There is nothing wrong with a Chris Neil sprint and it will be as good if not better than many other sprints to drive.

I agree with Rohan, but the problem now is that to register the car here in Switzerland you need a FIVA identity card.
As the number is incorrect, no FIVA identity card, therefore no registration.
Would it be possible with the V888 form to obtain the history of the English registration service?
I can't find the trace of the guy registered on the Vehicule Registration Document.
https://lotuselan.net/lel/51422/0/s_014.jpg

Without a solution, the car will stay in the garage!

Thanks for your help

Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: John Larkin » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:39 am

Stéphane,
A friend and I have just completed a five year restoration of an 1967 Elan S3 coupe. We found the car's production number hand-written in crayon on the inside of the outer door skin on both doors. This is a four digit number that was used to trace the vehicle through the production process -- it is not the VIN.
This production number was also bonded or moulded into the engine compartment bulkhead near to the right hand side bonnet catch. I have attached an image from another post on this forum to show you where it may be found. This bulkhead number is usually invisible because it has been filled and painted over, but it can be found by careful digging in the area. Andy Graham of Lotus was able to identify our car using the four digit production number.
NOTE: You may find a typed number on the inner door skin on each door. We found these on our restoration, but we have not been able to identify what they mean.
I hope this information helps you.
Regards, John Larkin.
Attachments
Dynatape.png and
1967 S3SE FHC, 1974 Rover P6B, 1949 Lancia Aprilia
John Larkin
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:10 am

Thanks john,

I already looked, but nothing. I think the body has already been changed.

cheers

Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 8:33 am

Just to clarify John, the number you refer to is actually the Body No, not the production no. You are quite correct though, that the only true individual Elan identifying number is the Unit No, which of course forms part of the overall VIN.

I wrote an article for Club Lotus News magazine on VIN systems, including Body Nos, a few years ago and attach it below.

Tim
Attachments
2018 Jan Lotus Elan VIN Systems.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:03 am

Hi Stephane. What information is required to get an FIVA identity card? Is the UK V5C sufficient?
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:25 am

Hello Billelan,

What does mean UK V5C ?

cheers

Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Billelan » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:32 am

A V5C is a UK registration document issued by DVLA.
Billelan
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:50 am

Billelan wrote:A V5C is a UK registration document issued by DVLA.

As in the document pictured in the first post of https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=40426
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:13 am

This is the problem to quote trw 99 “You are quite correct though, that the only true individual Elan identifying number is the Unit No”. Unfortunately this identity is not integral to the car, found only on a removable bulkhead plate. This leaves the possibility without some other cross check to almost any ‘manipulation’ of cars identity.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rgh0 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:01 pm

It appears the previous history of your car probably disappeared with the CN sprint conversion and probably a new body and chassis at that time. If documents around its registration at the time of conversion are not sufficient to now register in Switzerland ( which I know is complex and difficult) then you will have a significant challenge to find sufficient identify of the right age to meet Swiss regulation needs pre the conversion.

Registering via another country with more flexible rules ( UK, France, Germany, Holland ??) may be a solution as an interim step to Swiss registration.

cheers
Rohan
rgh0
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:05 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for spending time to help me.

I had the idea of removing the plate riveted to the chassis with the VIN number. Surprise :shock:

A number appears, written like a pig, but partially visible. It looks more like a correct number, although I can't recognize the year correctly. But the 01159 turns into 0113G!

Does anyone have a superior ability to decipher ''hieroglyphs''

cheers
Stéphane
Attachments
20220830_174016.jpg and
Inked20220830_174016 (1).jpg and
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: trw99 » Tue Aug 30, 2022 4:31 pm

The last 5 digits would indicate a Domestic U.K. S 4 DHC.

Once I’m able to access my data I’ll let you know what I have on that car, if anything.

The LR is possibly spurious in this instance, since Lotus Replacement chassis were marked on the exhaust side of the chassis.

Tim
trw99
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: rideaway » Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:24 pm

Hello Tim,

This number is on exhaust side !
For info, i take.

Stéphane
rideaway
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: pharriso » Tue Aug 30, 2022 6:12 pm

Those marking look legitimate on the new chassis! Here are the markings on my Lotus Replacement (LR) chassis:
Chassis_Prep_-07-19-2015-0033.JPG and

The markings look very similar...
Phil Harrison
1972 Elan Sprint 0260K
pharriso
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PreviousNext

Total Online: