1966 Elan S3 DHC Oil/Water Gauge

PostPost by: TrevorJones » Mon Aug 15, 2022 7:58 pm

Hi

Owned the S3 since 1974 and the oil/water gauge still giving good service. My elan was built some time in Feb 1967 with chassis No 7694 and the photo shows the original equipment 60 PSI oil and 110 deg C. water. Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_0745.JPG and
1967 S3 chassis 7694
TrevorJones
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:21 am

Firstly thank you all for your assistance. I have decided to go for the 0-100 psi gauge as it looks like the one shown in my 1966 owners handbook (which came from my dad's S3 S/E FHC CTB 499E which he had from new) and I prefer the numerals too. I have ordered it from Kelvedon (who have both types) and they confirmed that the instrument bulb holder fits in a tube on the back of the gauge (as it does on my current 0-60 psi gauge) and is the same for both types.
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: RobertMaulden » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:11 pm

I've just fitted one supplied by Kelvedon, as soon as you get it open the box to see if there is a copper washer inside (to go over the wt bulb & under the brass washer that secures the bulb to the adaptor that screws into the thermostat housing) Look at the diagram in the box & you will see what I am talking about

There was not one in mine & without it fitted the bulb is not securely held in place & watertight.
I reused the existing adaptor which has a longer thread & allows the brass nut to screw on further & secure the bulb.

Kelvedon are aware of this washer being missing & told me that they had checked their stock & that none of the boxes contained the washer.

The existing bulb holder fits into the tube on the back of the new gauge with no problem.

PS - you do need the 0-100 psi gauge
RobertMaulden
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: simonriley11 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:29 pm

Thanks Robert - it did come with the copper washer and I plan to fit it tomorrow. I suppose I'll be jacking up the front of the car again to get rid of all the airlocks when I refill the radiator. As my late father (who owned Lotus from 1961 until 2021) said to run a Lotus you need to be a believer!
simonriley11
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: lotusfan » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:04 pm

RobertMaulden wrote:
PS - you do need the 0-100 psi gauge

In my view the 60 psi max gauge is acceptable if you have a standard Ford oil pump which gives around 40 psi but if you have a high pressure oil pump, giving maybe 60 psi, then the 100 psi gauge is probably the way to go.
Mike
72 Sprint DHC
lotusfan
Third Gear
Third Gear

PostPost by: Quart Meg Miles » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:27 pm

My early car has the 100 psi gauge and when I fitted a high pressure pump it frightened me seeing such high pressures! As its casting was faulty and caused gasket failure I requested a standard replacement. All I really wanted was a screw on filter.
Meg

26/4088 1965 S1½ Old and scruffy but in perfect working order; the car too.
________________Put your money where your mouse is, click on "Support LotusElan.net" below.
Quart Meg Miles
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

Previous

Total Online: