Sprint bonnet will not line with catches

PostPost by: ElanAl » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:41 pm

Hi all, my Sprint is now all back together and I’m carefully going through the running in process before putting it on a rolling road to finish things off. However, the bonnet popped open the other day while I was driving! I’ve spent the last day or so trying to fettle the bonnet to align with the catches and have run up against what seems an insurmountable problem - hopefully someone on here will have a solution. The pictures show the driver’s side sprung catch when I set it towards the left / middle of the car in order to align it with the ‘top hat’ shaped catch on the bonnet. As you can see, the cable comes out of the bulkhead at an angle. No matter how tight I screw the catch to secure it’s position, as soon as I pull the release handle to test it, the catch moves over towards the right (the outside of the car) and is then too far over to allow the bonnet to close (see second pic) - the two catches are then not aligned. It’s almost as though the bonnet is slightly too far to the left of the car. If that is so, is there a way of adjusting the bonnet to be a bit more to the right so that the sprung catch and the catch on the bonnet will line up. Whew - hope that’s clear…

Thanks in advance for any help.

Best, Allen
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: ElanAl » Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:53 pm

And here’s the pics…
Attachments
C55F5C76-B8BB-491A-8CDD-18A0B2EA15E3.jpeg and
8A76FCD5-A3DC-4DAF-B4BC-9E42464139AE.jpeg and
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: Spyder fan » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:37 pm

The catches are best described as “Mickey Mouse” in other words, “just about adequate “ Adjustment is required if refitting.

I spent a day faffing around with mine, shortening / lengthening the cable using the adjustment that’s similar to brake cable adjustment on a pedal cycle. Works okay for me now for the last 9 years, persevere and you will be okay
Kindest regards

Alan Thomas
Spyder fan
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: Craven » Sun Jul 17, 2022 7:44 pm

Perhaps 2 accurately located small self tapping screws, one at the outside top and one on the inside bottom, that should stop the fixed part of the catch sliding/twisting sideways from a working position.
Due to the construction realigning the bonnet is near impossible.
Craven
Coveted Fifth Gear
Coveted Fifth Gear

PostPost by: ElanAl » Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:06 pm

Craven wrote:Perhaps 2 accurately located small self tapping screws, one at the outside top and one on the inside bottom, that should stop the fixed part of the catch sliding/twisting sideways from a working position.
Due to the construction realigning the bonnet is near impossible.

Many thanks! This sounds like an idea that could work. I appreciate the reply, cheers…
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

PostPost by: LI-599 » Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:26 am

Hi, I had similar problem with my S4 with the bonnet regularly popping open at road speeds, but next to impossible to unlatch when stationary. After several attempts to get them reliable I removed the catches and ( shock horror) installed a central key lockable cabinet latch which has never failed. I have always tried to keep my Elan as original as possible but seeing the bonnet lift open when cruising down the road was a bit too much.
Ian
Australia
LI-599
Second Gear
Second Gear

PostPost by: ElanAl » Mon Jul 18, 2022 4:08 pm

I have found a solution! I filed out the hole in the sprung catch so that the cable could be moved more to one side. I aligned the catches, tightened everything up and the cable now allows the sprung catch to remain in position - and the bonnet now opens and closes perfectly - yay! :-)

Thanks for your suggestions though, really appreciated.

Best, Allen
ElanAl
First Gear
First Gear

Total Online: